Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hervilly, Fervaque Farm, Carpeza Copse

wulsten

Does anyone have a trech map of the are West of Hervilly, in particular anything which shows the location of Fervaque Farm or Carpeza Copse, anything at all greatly appreciated, Geoff

Does anyone have a trech map of the are West of Hervilly, in particular anything which shows the location of Fervaque Farm or Carpeza Copse, anything at all greatly appreciated, Geoff

Hi

Do these locations refer to a particular unit? Some histories have maps. Rat's Alley doesn't list any of the names

Regards

Martin

sajackr, Martin, thanks for the replies, the unit i was looking at was the 2/6th Manchesters at the period of the German Spring offensive, i believe from the war diary (see below) that they were in this area when caught in the German advance, Geoff

21 March Bombardment of front support line ... opening by enemy at 4.35am by HE gas shells. Thick mist prevailed all morning. Boys unable to assume Battle positions. All communicarions ground .... out.

11am Casualties up to now light 2nd Lt G. Carmichael Killed. Enemy reported in view on RED LINE.

11.15am Enemy reported to have ....RED line between left and right Coys (A & C) hand to hand fighting took place, but swing in mist enemy was able to surround both Coys. Bn NQs formed defensive line on COTE WOOD (N.Line)

The remains of Btn relieved the line running N through CARPEZA COPSE & got into .... with right and left joining our one remaining coy. This coy was re... to to forwards & re... line 500 W of FRERVAQUE FARM to HESBECOURT - MAGICOURT Road. Btn HQ CARPEZA COPSE.

.... of Btn now found to be 12 officers & 150 ORs. on night of 21/3/18. 2 squadrens of dismounted cavalry joined as reinforcements.

This line was held until morning of 22/3/18, unit surrounded on three sides owing to heavy mist which delined at dusk 21/3/18

Member John Hartley's excellent history of the 6th Manchesters has a modern map of the area and photo of Cote Wood

Regards

Martin

This map section from "Linesman" is Feb 1918 (this area is EAST of Hervilly)

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-10144700-1324313591.jpg

John Hartley's excellent history

Too kind, Martin.

Geoff - drop me a PM with your email address and I'll get the maps (which I got from GWF member, Croonaert) off to you and the modern photos (which are mine)

Geoff

Photos winging their way to you and, yes, you're just about right with the farm. It's either in the woods or, at best, just on the edge of them. Bloody bleak spot at best!