Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank chevrons X type and V type

bkristof

Hi,

most people researching WW1 will know there are 2 types of NCO rank Chevrons. The regular V schaped stripes

uk-bsjt.jpg

and the less common X schaped stripes

516037746_tp.jpg

My question:

Is there a difference? Did the X-shaped stripes exhist from 1914 on? If not, when did they appear (LOC)?

I heard several 'stories' to explain the X type (not to be confused with a Jaguar LOL):

- These are for Territorials

- These are camouflaged ones, from 1915 on

- These are custom made???

Please can anyone help?

It is widely believed that these were a war-time expedient ..... a thread on this forum dealt with the matter but I cannot find it ..... the SEARCH facility is not very user-friendly. Not present in 1914, and not confined to Territorials, and camouflage is out of the question.

If you PM Joe Sweeney you should get chapter and verse, he is an acknowledged super-guru of service dress.

It is widely believed that these were a war-time expedient ..... a thread on this forum dealt with the matter but I cannot find it ..... the SEARCH facility is not very user-friendly. Not present in 1914, and not confined to Territorials, and camouflage is out of the question.

If you PM Joe Sweeney you should get chapter and verse, he is an acknowledged super-guru of service dress.

Of Course, Joe!!

Thanks already!