Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID

Richard Bissill

post-86167-0-38048300-1323989048.jpg It might help if I attach the file.

Hello. Can anyone identify this uniform? I have a relative who, according to his Medal Roll Index was in: 6th Res Regt of Cav, S Notts Hrs Yeo, South Notts Hussars. Could this uniform match this? Thanks for any help.

post-86167-0-38048300-1323989048.jpg It might help if I attach the file.

Hello. Can anyone identify this uniform? I have a relative who, according to his Medal Roll Index was in: 6th Res Regt of Cav, S Notts Hrs Yeo, South Notts Hussars. Could this uniform match this? Thanks for any help.

He is dressed as a Warrant Officer Class One and Regimental Sergeant Major, but does not appear to be wearing the cap badge of the South Notts Hussars, which was a very distinctive sprig of acorns.

A close up of his head dress is the key to an ID as so far the image is very small. Based on the general shape of his badge I think it might be Army Service Corps (ASC), which was a common place for veteran cavalry/yeomen to transfer to.

post-599-0-31261200-1323994248.jpg

Photograph dated after mid-1915 .... the WO badge is diagnostic.

Indeed. Like this.......

post-599-0-64511500-1324072541.jpg

Here is a very early version of the badge which may well have been Great War period ...... the original rank badge was worsted which is not so say that gilding metal ones were not worn ...... a nice glittering badge for the RSM.

post-894-0-28805600-1324210615.jpg

Thanks everyone so far for your help. The badge is definitely not the South Notts acorns badge. The one on his right arm is like the other images you posted. The RSM idea rules out my theory that the photo is of whom I thought it was. He was a 2nd lieutenant at the time of his death at Tidworth in 1917. There is another candidate (his brother) who survived the war and may have joined the ASC so I'll keep you all posted.