Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribbon

Numanoid817

I found this ribbon along with my Great Grandfathers medals a while back. He served with The Royal Munster Fusiliers and it has recently been identified as on of the designs used on a Mitchell's Cigarettes Silk. Does anyone know what the ribbon was used for. I don't think it was a medal ribbon but maybe i'm wrong

Anyone??

post-75833-0-66406200-1323906983.jpg

I found this ribbon along with my Great Grandfathers medals a while back. He served with The Royal Munster Fusiliers and it has recently been identified as on of the designs used on a Mitchell's Cigarettes Silk. Does anyone know what the ribbon was used for. I don't think it was a medal ribbon but maybe i'm wrong

Anyone??

post-75833-0-96608900-1323907409.jpg

This certainly gives the appearance of having been worn on a medal. Could it be the regimental colours possibly worn on a regimentally issued medal for good conduct, gallantry, shooting or some other sporting event, etc., etc.?

Robert

It is a regimental ribbon for the RMF. All British regiments had them and they were used on such things as straw boaters, panama hats and for trimming other, invariably sporting items. In miniature it was often used on Christmas Cards and in later years was frequently used as the basis for trim on cricket sweaters and often (but not always) formed the pattern for regimental ties and / or stable belts.

There is a link to all the ribbons of the period here: http://www.frontiern.../MiSh/Regt.html

Gale & Polden once produced a superb colour poster of them all.

They seem to have originated in the 1880s after the naming of regiments in the Cardwell Reforms.

Nice one lads..Thanks as usual for the info..

Between April and September 1984, the now defunct Military Modelling magazine had a monthly feature covering all the Irish Regiments and showing for each full dress, a cigarette silk, a stand of colours and a Mitchell's card showing regimental ribbon and button. For some reason only the Royal Irish Fusiliers was missed out, which seems to have been an editorial error, as No4 in July, ostensibly indicated it was for the RIF and yet all the detail and images were for RDF. I never did find out if they later corrected this.