Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID

leefer

Nah squintings' no good, cap badge could be any number of units, riding breeches and spurs makes him a mounted soldier, could be ASC but I'm not commiting to that until I can see a closer look at the cap....please :D

jon

Hi everyone my friend is wanting some info on what this uniform could be....it looks earlier than WW1 to me...

Any help will be great....thanks.

Almost certainly an ASC 'Driver' going from what appears to be a star shaped badge and in the simplified jacket and with the spurs, bandolier and (possibly) whip, that was so common for his role. Probably in the first 3-years of the war.

post-599-0-60125300-1323905672.jpg

post-599-0-54585300-1323905749.gif

Here is another ASC Driver for comparison.

post-599-0-49965200-1323906612.jpg

Could someone tell me a little about the ASV....the abreviation ASV what did it stand for in WW1....i know there are a few modern meanings but there seems to be little info online about the ASV during WW1....is there any pics of what he/they could have been driving/riding?

Could someone tell me a little about the ASV....the abreviation ASV what did it stand for in WW1....i know there are a few modern meanings but there seems to be little info online about the ASV during WW1....is there any pics of what he/they could have been driving/riding?

Never heard of ASV? Do you mean ASC (Army Service Corps)?

There were other Drivers as well as the ASC. Both the RA and RE had drivers who dressed very similarly to your man, but the star shaped badge helps us to make a reasonable assessment of his unit as ASC.

Have heard of the corps but wasn't sure if the drivers would be seperate from them......thanks again Frogsmile......good of you to take the time and effort to reply.

Hi,

I have a couple of photos that I don't know who is in the photo. My Grandfather was in the Connaught Rangers Service # 5742 2b and my Godfather was in the Royal Field Artillery Service #187390. My Great Grandfather was in the RIC 1890 to 1918. Would anyone know this uniform?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/help.

Mary

File too big.....need to send in two postings.

Hi,

I have a couple of photos that I don't know who is in the photo. My Grandfather was in the Connaught Rangers Service # 5742 2b and my Godfather was in the Royal Field Artillery Service #187390. My Great Grandfather was in the RIC 1890 to 1918. Would anyone know this uniform?

Mary

The other photo....................

post-86160-0-90490000-1323977751.jpg

post-86160-0-68848800-1323977821.jpg

Hi,

Mary

The other photo....................

Photo 01 is Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) in their dark green uniform with black buttons. Both they and the later Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) adopted the style of a Rifle unit in the colour of their uniform and insignia.

Photo 07 is of a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery Full Dress at Aldershot.

post-599-0-69378100-1323980202.jpg

RIC.

post-599-0-36296800-1323980539.jpg

RIC.

Oh my Goodness! I cannot thank you enough! To know that is my Great Grandfather and Godfather is a miracle. You have made this the happiest Christmas ever!

Thank you,

Mary

Oh my Goodness! I cannot thank you enough! To know that is my Great Grandfather and Godfather is a miracle. You have made this the happiest Christmas ever!

Thank you,

Mary

A pleasure Mary. Your photo shows the RFA gunner in the previous pattern of tunic from the colour illustration I have shown, although they were very similar. The main difference was that the shoulder straps were made of twisted yellow cord on the earlier version, which you can see in your photo, despite its deterioration.

Here is a colour image of the RIC uniform.

post-599-0-35728500-1323985526.jpg

A pleasure Mary. Your photo shows the RFA gunner in the previous pattern of tunic from the colour illustration I have shown, although they were very similar. The main difference was that the shoulder straps were made of twisted yellow cord on the earlier version, which you can see in your photo, despite its deterioration.

Here is a colour image of the RIC uniform.

I really can't thank you enough. This album of photos was found in a shed in Ireland. I was just sent more last night. I have one more photo of a gentleman in a uniform. Unfortunately someone drew a mustache on the face. What a shame. I will look to clean up this photo, for sure. But, I am not sure it is a RIC or a US military uniform. The name looks like Wm Murtagh, which Wm James Murtagh was a RIC constable from 1917-1919. Would you be able to identify this uniform?

Thank you,

Mary

post-86160-0-53318000-1324041168.jpg

Great stuff FROGSMILE, as usual your right on the money ~ Well done

W.

Thank you Wendy, I am glad to help. I hope you all have a great Christmas in NZ.

I really can't thank you enough. This album of photos was found in a shed in Ireland. I was just sent more last night. I have one more photo of a gentleman in a uniform. Unfortunately someone drew a mustache on the face. What a shame. I will look to clean up this photo, for sure. But, I am not sure it is a RIC or a US military uniform. The name looks like Wm Murtagh, which Wm James Murtagh was a RIC constable from 1917-1919. Would you be able to identify this uniform?

Thank you,

Mary

Hello Mary,

Your photo shows a US Army soldier in full dress tunic just before WW1. He has US on the collars and just behind it a device showing what branch of the Army. As this is a crossed device it must be either cavalry (crossed sabres), artillery (crossed gun barrels), or infantry (crossed rifle muskets). On the khaki version enlisted men had a button shaped collar badge with US embossed, whereas the officers had the separate letters. In this case his tunic is dark blue with yellow trim to the collar and a white cotton shirt collar under.

The field uniform equivalent was khaki but the collar badges were similar (see enclosed image).

I suspect he emigrated to the US and served with the US Army and then later returned and joined the RIC. On balance I think he looks like a US Cavalryman as the collar device appears to be curved.

post-599-0-67227700-1324067161.jpg

post-599-0-56045100-1324067177.jpg

Hello Mary,

Your photo shows a US Army Officer in full dress tunic just before WW1. He has US on the collars and just behind it a device showing what branch of the Army. As this is a crossed device it must be either cavalry (crossed sabres), artillery (crossed gun barrels), or infantry (crossed rifle muskets). Enlisted men had a button shaped collar badghe with US embossed whereas the officers had the separate letters. His tunic is dark blue with yellow trim to the collar.

The field uniform equivalent was khaki but the collar badges were similar (see enclosed image).

I suspect he emigrated to the US and served with the US Army and then later returned and joined the RIC. On balance I think he looks like a US Cavalryman as the collar device appears to be curved.

Wow, you are unbelieveable! Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Mary

Wow, you are unbelieveable! Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Mary

My pleasure Mary. I do not have a colour image of the US cavalry tunic but here is a US artillery one, which is the same except that the trim is red rather than yellow.

post-599-0-56450600-1324068557.jpg

Here, at centre, is a colour image of the tunic he is wearing.

I believe now that he was an enlisted man, rather than an officer.

post-599-0-51560500-1324069135.jpg