Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mud, Sticky and Kaiserin Trenches, Loos

jay dubaya

Hoping there's a kind soul who can furnish me with a map showing Mud, Sticky and Kaiserin Trenches. I'm led to believe these trenches were in the vacinity of the Hog's Back (part of Hohenzollern Redoubt?) Any help would be greatly appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Jon.

Looked at various maps, cannot see any of the trenches you mention in or around the Hohenzollern redoubt only 'Hogs back', but i think that may be the name of a crater. Regards. JIM

Thanks for that fellas, indeed Hog's Back was a crater but at some point around January 1916 there was a trench by the same name probably around the lip maybe? I've found a map which shows a Mud Alley in square 4a, just off the map posted above, could this be the same - Alley/Trench? Also just dug out a copy of Rat's Alley which quotes Sticky Trench in 4b, Mud Trench 4a and Kaiserin Trench 4b&d

cheers, Jon

Jon

TNA trench map CD has Mud Trench at G.4. a and b and Sticky Trench at G.4.b which agrees with your posting. Unfortunately, I cannot find a map which shows the trenches actually named.

Roger

Thanks for that Jim, I had thought the same myself, but I'm informed this is 'Mad Alley' which also appears in 4a. Do you have the surrounding squares from the above extract that shows 4 & 5 and the squares directly below?

cheers, Jon

JON,

As per your request happy to oblige. Also will send you squares above G3, G4. I see their is a Mad Corner, that should have told me that Mud was wrong! oh well!!

I am always learning about trench maps and their interpretation. Regards. JIM..Can you P.M me as to large to post .I will email scans

Edited by ypres