Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Farrier Insignia

Yorkshire Dragoon

Hullo all...

What can anyone tell me about the insignia of cavalry farriers during the great war, were the insignia cloth or metal? heels up or down? coloured?

I'm not sure of anything regarding Great War insignia so any help would be appreciated.

Chin Chin

Tim B

Brown horseshoe on a khaki backing for Service Dress - heels down.

Brown horseshoe on a khaki backing for Service Dress - heels down.

the OFFICIAL version was brass "gilding metal" although many worsted ones can be seen as described above, probably private purchase in that era.

Hullo all...

What can anyone tell me about the insignia of cavalry farriers during the great war, were the insignia cloth or metal? heels up or down? coloured?

I'm not sure of anything regarding Great War insignia so any help would be appreciated.

Chin Chin

Tim B

This is how the two badges looked Tim.

post-599-0-57359200-1323865867.jpg

post-599-0-13407300-1323866544.jpg

Just to add that OFFICIALLY all "appointment" badges were gilding metal 1914-18, and all skill-at-arms were worsted, with the exception of the crossed rifles of the marksman, supplied in either material.

Amazingly [to modern eyes] the gilding metal was an economy, as worsted required hand finishing skills.

As the war went on, the use of brass for many munitions of war meant that, in turn, there was a move away from metal.

One final complication: many firms made versions of these badges for private or unit purchase ...... shiny brass ones always looked good, but many were of a design that could and would snag on just about anything in a confined space, like a trench.

Fantastic replys chaps ...Thank you so much for your help... now to start trawling the shops etc for the badge ...

Cheer

Tim B

• 1 year later...

Just to end this topic..I was able to find a metal farrier badge recently..just awaiting its arrival, then straight on to my uniform