Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information On Rim Of Medal

jamesalamont

Hi guys,

I am about to pay a company to make a replica set of my grandads medals (his originals were sold in the 50's)

He was a a Pvt in the Sherwood Foresters, 6th battalion then later moved to the 22nd London Regt where he was promoted to Lance Corporal. During this time he had 2 service numbers, one for each regiment.

Can someone please clarify which set of information would have been issued on his medals and how it would have been laid out? (If someone has a picture of the rim of a medal that would be fantastic!)

Regards

James

Hi James,

The naming should be set out as follows:

Service number(12345); rank(Pte); Initials(A.B.C.); Surname(Anybody); Regiment(King's R.)

You may need some guidance from his Index Card in order to ascertain which service number and regiment should be impressed on the rim--not straight forward, requires input from someone who can see the actual card and advise accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Robert

PS There are several members who could guide you on this--including myself.

Hello James

If you leave some info i.e. name numbers etc. . . I will look for you and let you know what is on his card.

Regards

Rich

Hello again James

I can't seem to find the photo's of the rims and my father has the medals, but in this photo of my Great Grandfathers medals you can see the naming on the back of the 14/15 star if this helps at all.

Rich

post-60087-0-14545800-1323735194.jpg

If you want to see what the information on the rim of a medal looks like go to ebay? There are plenty of medals for sale and lots of people post pictures of the rims so you can see what you are buying.

Mandy

You need to start with the details from his medal information card.Ancestry.com will sell you a copy, or a kind person will download it for you.

From there you can tell what would have been stamped on the originals following the format mentioned previously.

But, most modern reproductions will only electrically engrave the details. To be honest it looks bad and is not worth the cost involved.

Imho, just obtain the copy medals un-named and then mount them up.They will still look fine.

Then, place a wants listing with medal news. You never know someone out there may have them and be willing to sell.

Nice original MM group by the way Rich.

Some good info on mic's

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

Indeed, modern laser engraving on medals looks awful; it is too faint and shallow (look at any modern British campaign medals, such as the Iraq or Operational Service Medals) and taking them to a high street engraver like sports trophy companies or shoe repairers ends up with a crude result looks wrong.

Another vote for not naming the reproductions - get a name plate made instead and frame them.

You need to start with the details from his medal information card.Ancestry.com will sell you a copy, or a kind person will download it for you.

From there you can tell what would have been stamped on the originals following the format mentioned previously.

But, most modern reproductions will only electrically engrave the details. To be honest it looks bad and is not worth the cost involved.

Imho, just obtain the copy medals un-named and then mount them up.They will still look fine.

Then, place a wants listing with medal news. You never know someone out there may have them and be willing to sell.

Nice original MM group by the way Rich.

Some good info on mic's

http://www.1914-1918...grandad/mic.htm

Thanks, I did want to remove them from the bar and re-mount them but decided not to as this is how my great grandfather had them and that is how they will stay.:) Just wish we could find out what he did to recieve the MM. All my father remeembers him saying is that he carried a "Major Raynor" back through the barbed wire but he later died of his wounds. The only likely candidate is a RSM Raynor of the same BN, but we are not sure.:(

Rich

HI Rich

You may be able to.

The London Gazette will show when he was awarded it and the battalion's war diary may have a mention in it af the particulars. Some of the war diaries are online at NA but for most you have to go or get someone else to look them up.

regards

Robert

Hello Robert

I contacted the Regimental museum at York and they came bac with the same name, but they said they couldn't find anything in the Diaries about it, so I didn't bother looking after that. Do you still thin it is worth having another look?

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

James,

Make sure the medals are marked "D" or "R" so that if the medals are ever for sale or pass hands, they are recognised as a replacement set. I did exactly the same for my great great uncle's medals.

But they aren't 'Replacements' or 'Duplicates' so why mark them as such?

That would suggest they were officially reissued, which they weren't.

They are copies.

If you really want to name them up (which I wouldn't) then the word 'copy' or 'replica' should also be engraved IMO.

Neil

• 1 year later...

What is the correct marking for replacment sets, I recently saw a trio with a small R on the reverese of a 14/15 star just below the suspension ring and the WM and VM marked R following the mans regiment. I was unsure whether the R meant replacement or replica as the war medal had a plating on it that was starting to 'lift'as I was unsure I left them alone. Are replica's marked with an R as I have seen later medals with the rim marked RPLM (replacment)

khaki

On British medals R always stands for Replacement. Until the 80s 'Replacement' was sometimes stamped in full. A licensed (as all UK medals are MOD copyright) replica should have the word COPY impressed on it. I don't have the rules and regulations but this is usually in a place to prevent full naming being applied.

Thanks.

Even though I didn't purchase the trio, I suggested to the dealer that they were probably replacements and that he should adjust his price accordingly. A shame in a way as it was to L.R London Regiment?

khaki