Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver war badge , Finding history.

keithrouse

Hello, A very basic question, I would think, but could someone tell me if it is practical to try to find the identity of the recipient of a silver war badge, with the only clue being the issue number on the rear.?

Thank-you, Keith.

• Admin

You can search the newly released SWB Records on Ancestry by number

Just pop the number into the Keyword box

If you're not a subscriber you can go to your local library or use the free trial (not forgetting to cancel it)

Ken

You can search the newly released SWB Records on Ancestry by number

Just pop the number into the Keyword box

I am signed up with ancestry, but did not know that you could check the swb records by number only.

I will give it a try now.

Thank -you for the reply.

Keith

That is a great tool. I had misses it somehow. It worked perfect and fast

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Mark Brown

Discharge Unit: N.C.L.C. ex Welsh Reg.

Regiment Number: 261768

Badge Number: 363577

Unit: Labour Corps (Nottingham)

Piece: 3188

List Number: LC 1501-1800

Record Group: WO

Record Class: 329

Name: J. H. Waddle

Discharge Unit: 3rd. Bn. Durham Light Infantry

Regiment Number: 3/10946

Badge Number: 278031

Unit: Infantry (York)

Piece: 3137

List Number: O 0001/2-0400/1

Rgds

Tim D

363577 awarded to 261768 Pte M Brown Labour Corps Ex Welsh Regt

278031 awarded to 3/10946 Pte J H Waddle 3rd DLI -he did not serve overseas so the SWB probably his only entitlement.

Can anyone help with these two numbers (access not possible, currently!) :

363577 and 278031

Andy

Tim ,

Thanks for that. Excellent stuff!

Andy

Name: Mark Brown

Discharge Unit: N.C.L.C. ex Welsh Reg.

Regiment Number: 261768

Badge Number: 363577

Unit: Labour Corps (Nottingham)

Piece: 3188

List Number: LC 1501-1800

Name: J. H. Waddle

Discharge Unit: 3rd. Bn. Durham Light Infantry

Regiment Number: 3/10946

Badge Number: 278031

Unit: Infantry (York)

Piece: 3137

List Number: O 0001/2-0400/1

Rgds

Tim D

MH,

Firstly, thanks for your response to my question ref SWB numbers. I note your comment about Pte Waddle having not served overseas yet still receives the SWB. Interesting!!! Would love to know the detail behind that one!

Getting back to a slightly different matter, would I be correct in saying you are the Mark Holden I had the pleasure of working with at the ITC ?

Andy Adams LANCS (formerly Queen's Lancashires).....its a small world but an even smaller forum!

Regards

Andy

• Admin

I note your comment about Pte Waddle having not served overseas yet still receives the SWB. Interesting!!! Would love to know the detail behind that one!

Not unusual - the SWB was awarded to all military personnel who had served whether at home or overseas - see

http://www.1914-1918...grandad/swb.htm

Pte Waddle enlisted 12th October 1914 and was discharged aged 47 years 7 months on 21 November 1917 under the terms of AO 11 10 August 1917 (para 2 (d)

Ken

Sorry to seem a spoilsport, but several posts have been withdrawn because our rules state:

Copyright restrictions of Medal Index Cards, Service Records etc

Members of the GWF MAY post images of MIC's/service records etc on the Great War Forum provided they have downloaded these themselves from Ancestry or similar sites, or have obtained them from, for example, the NA, and they relate to a specific research project being undertaken by the GWF member in question.

Members MAY NOT use the GWF to display any images of MIC's, service records etc downloaded from Ancestry or any similar genealogy sites on behalf of a third party. Members who are NOT subscribers to Ancestry and similar sites, MAY NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are to download data on their behalf.

We have no desire to stifle this valuable area of research, but we have a legal responsibility to ensure that we do not breach any Terms & Conditions laid down by genealogy sites relating to the publishing of images for third parties. We felt it necessary to clarify the situation so as to protect the reputation of the Forum and the Pals that use it, and we apologise for any confusion any previous announcement may have caused.

• Admin

Kate

Having fully supported the rule in the past and been party to the original discussion I believe the rules apply to images - the data is not copyright.

see post 35 and the response from Andrew then moderator

I have reported breaches of the rule on a number of occasions.

I do not see any images on this thread (unless you have removed them in which case it would be courteous to note) or have the rules changed in which case we should perhaps change the heading from the look up section which you have copied above.

Ken

Fair enough Ken. I'll restore the posts.

Speaking personally, I have always felt that a certain genealogy site gets more than adequate compensation for a few lookups via the constant free advertising it gets here.

• Admin

No problem Kate, thank you for accepting in the spirit posted

Thinking about it I thought it might be a good idea for the mods to adopt a standard protocol like Alan then at least the poster knows the rules.

I do appreciate all you and your colleagues do for the GWF

bw

Ken

You weren't to know this Ken, but I had already given an explanation via pm.

Thanks Kate,

That was my understanding too....why I posted the data only.

Tim D