Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Steel Helmet

DCLI

Sorry if the question has been asked before - notice how many questions start of with an apology?

Can anyone tell me the noticeable differences, if there are any, between a British WW1 steel helmet and a WW2 version.

Also what is an avergae sort of price to pay for an avergae sort of quality?

regards to all forumees.

Can anyone tell me the noticeable differences, if there are any, between a British WW1 steel helmet and a WW2 version.

Liner, chinstrap, method of fixing the liner to the shell, chinstrap loops, actual shape of shell (usually the rim) and the metal it's manufactured from. These all differ quite substantially between the variations of WW1 and the WW2 varieties

How's that for starters ? :P

Dave.

Bit more specific?

What about price?

Bit more specific?

What about price?

Don't ask me about price! :lol: The last WW1 helmet I bought cost me £10 and the last WW2 one cost me £3 !!!! (both from dealers, and both quite a while ago! I think that you could be looking at up to about £90 - £100 for WW1 (with a rim, more for the earlier "rimless" variety) - I sold one of my "rimmed" WW1 helmets with no liner for £65 on ebay a couple of years ago -, and I've seen WW2 quite recently for £35 -£50).

Specifics (without going into too much detail - others are better than me at doing that):

Liner WW1 :several (3?)variants, but basically a leather "cap" with string top with loops to hold rubber tubular"spacers" around the side. A padded area was rivetted to the crown of the shell. This rivet also held the top part of the chinstrap and a little "instruction sheet".

Liner WW2 :again ,several variants, but leather or leatherette, usually with a light metal "frame" that was screwed (various size head screws), not rivetted ,to the crown. Rubber spacers are built in to the liner and are no longer tubular.

Chinstrap WW1 : Leather and is rivetted into the crown of the helmet.

Chinstrap WW2 : Canvas with canvas covered metal springs at each end to enable elasticity. Later just canvas strapping and even later, some form of elasticated canvas.

Shape of shell WW1 : looked at from above, this can appear more circular (with the rim looking shorter fore and aft, and wider at the sides)

Shape of shell WW2: oval (rim is more uniform all the way round - a more "streamlined" effect).

Metals : unsure of actual metals, but one is magnetic, and the other isn't (can't remember which way round it is, but I think that WW2 models (and US manufactured WW1 models) aren't magnetic).

Dave.

Average price asked for British WW1 helmet at Northern militaria fairs is £120. I saw one which had a painted regimental badge to front but no lining or chinstrap £175 a few weeks back at Leeds fair. Shop around I say before lashing out- there are plenty of these around. American 1917 helmets are usually much cheaper than the British helmets-£50 to £80.