Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvte Charles McCormack 519 Mechanical Transport Coy ASC

Jock

I am after some information on my GG Uncle Charles Eugene McCormack, Pvte M/316456, 519 Mechanical Transport Coy, Army Service Corps

He died of wounds 13th May 1918 and is burried at CWG Boulogne Eastern Cemetry (Younger brother James was KIA on the 31/05/1916 when HMS Queen Mary was sunk at the Battle of Jutland)

Once again the only records I have been able to get/find are MIC & CWG

Having searched The LLT I see that the 519th was part of the 60th (2nd/2nd London) Division. The 519th must have went to France/Flanders earlier than the rest of the 60th Div as he DOW's before the dates stated for the 60th Div moved to France/Flanders 26th May-18th Aug 1918

He was a bus driver prior to enlistment. So I believe he would have been a driver of some sort of transport?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jock

Hi Jock,

I think some service papers have survived for him?

Name: Charles McCormack

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884

Age at enlistment: 33

Residence: 32 Monson Road, Harlerden

Document Year: 1917

Regimental Number: 316456

Regiment Name: Army [service Corps] (MT)

ETA: Trade or calling: Taxi cab proprietor. 12 years service in the RHA. Enlisted 25 April 1917.

Jock,

The "M" prefix to his service number confirms that he was a mechanical transport (MT) driver.

All the best.

Gary

Verrico2009 & Waggoner

Thanks for the information. That is my man! The bit about being the taxi cab proprieter, that is on his younger brother James's enlistment papers as he was his guardian at the time.

As for the 'M' prefix, I was thinking that it might be for Mechanical, but had not investigated that any further

Jock

Verrico2009

Thanks for the lead, It is the right man so I have down loaded the paper work that was there

I was looking at the 519 MT Coy ASC and wondering how he could have been in France at the time of his death as the 60th Div had not moved to France at the time of his death. In his records it states that he was in fact in the 717 MT Coy ASC attached to the IX Corps HA and that in his records there is no mention of him ever being in the 519 MT Coy

I'd love to find out more on his 12 years in the RHA prior to WW1

Jock

Delighted you've accessed the papers, Jock. Clearly immediately resolved one issue for you. I've had a quick look round, including FMP, in the hope of some RHA papers surviving but unfortunately can't see anything. It's possible the two sets of papers were placed together (I've come across this a few times) but the RHA ones didn't survive (this seems to have happened to a distant relative who was in the RFA where neither set survived, but his service was continuous). My relative was born 1881 and made it into the Boer War medal roll but Charles may have been a bit young - can't see anything in there for him. Might be worth contacting the research section of the RA museum in case they can help: Firepower

Verrico2009

Thanks for the direction help! Will get some of his details sorted and get onto the research dept and see if anything more turns up. At what age would he have been able to join the RHA? Having completed his 12 years would he have then been compelled to complete a required time in the reserves? Just working out why he was called up, as it seems he wasn't in the reserves at the time. I have a photo and it doesn't show him wearing any previous medals he may have been awarded from his previous service

Jock

post-43165-0-86480500-1323643200.jpg

Nice pic Jock, which clearly shows 2 good-conduct chevrons for 5 years unblemished service, he looks very much like a motor driver. No spurs or riding breeches doesn't suggest RHA and I believe that GC chevrons wouldn't be worn if a man re-enlisted so a bit of an oddity here for me at least.

His service papers confirm that he was a motor lorry driver opperating from the 9th Corps Siege Park (MT/ASC) and his casualty sheet lists several MT Coys and as you say there is no mention of the 519th so I wonder if this could be a transcription error somewhere between the Ministries and the IWGC, the unit he was serving with at the time of his death is clearly stated as 717th Coy. Their war diary can be found in WO95/846

Jon

jay dubaya

Thank you for the latest link. Have just now ordered some info from them. So now to wait and see what turns up. Have been meaning to post his photo for quite some time but have just been too occupied researching Charles's younger brother James who was in the RN and KIA when HMS Queen Mary was sank

Jock

Yes, nice photo. As JD says, doesn't look like RHA (am I right in thinking the goggles would be more MT?), but it's very clearly stated in the records. Odd.

• 2 years later...

I am also researching my McCormack family. Charles Eugene and his brother James were also my great uncles. My grandfather was their brother, Albert.

Any information is welcomed.

Ambleon

• 1 month later...

I have been researching my paternal Grandfather, Charles Eugene McCormack, for some time but have only just discovered this site. Very interesting. I visited his grave some years ago with my father, who was his only child. I understood that he had died from flu until I sent for his Death Certificate and discovered it was from wounds(burns). His death certificate states he died in Wimireux, so presumably it was in the hospital there, but was buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetary. My father always told me he died at the Somme. Lovely to see a picture of him. Interested to hear of any more information about his war record.

• 3 years later...

I visited my grandfather's grave again in 2014. I have spent many hours trying to find out how long he was in Wimereux Hospital but have drawn a blank. Also, I would love to know where he was injured but haven't managed to find out exactly which Division he was serving with at the time. I would like to know his movements from when he enlisted in 1917 until he was injured. Can anyone help, please? Visiting the battlefields again this year.