Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King Edward's Horse

Mr Wig

Hi Pals,

Anyone in the know about King Edward's Horse ?

Particulary 'C' Squadron...the Aussies.

Prior to the Great War, their uniform headgear was a slouch hat with plume.

Does anyone know if they wore a slouch hat/plume during the war ?

Or being a British regiment, did they adopt the standard isssue cap ?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Wig

Hi Pals,

Anyone in the know about King Edward's Horse ?

Particulary 'C' Squadron...the Aussies.

Prior to the Great War, their uniform headgear was a slouch hat with plume.

Does anyone know if they wore a slouch hat/plume during the war ?

Or being a British regiment, did they adopt the standard isssue cap ?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Wig

In France they wore SD caps until the advent of the steel helmet in 1916. In another theatre they are known to have worn the slouch hat, but with just a common cap badge rather than a badge plus additional National symbols that they had worn around the time of the 2nd Anglo/Boer War.

post-599-0-84136400-1323479638.jpg

post-599-0-38462800-1323479663.jpg

Hi there FROGSMILE,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pictures (fantastic stuff), and giving me the heads up.

You mentioned "In another theatre they are known to have worn the slouch hat, but with a common cap badge".

Do you know where this was ? Did they also wear the plume with the slouch hat ?

Again, thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

Cheers

Wig

Hi there FROGSMILE,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pictures (fantastic stuff), and giving me the heads up.

You mentioned "In another theatre they are known to have worn the slouch hat, but with a common cap badge".

Do you know where this was ? Did they also wear the plume with the slouch hat ?

Again, thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

Cheers

Wig

Hello Wig,

There were two regiments of King Edwards Horse after 1914, as a duplicate unit was raised privately by a swashbuckling member of parliament and then offered to the war office. Once formed, it meant that the original unit became the 1st KEH and the new unit became the 2nd KEH. The 1st KEH served in France and Italy, initially as dispersed squadrons, each supporting a discrete division, but later reunified as a complete regiment. Conversely the 2nd KEH had a lot of hanging around, partly in Britain and partly in Ireland, although some elements were eventually merged into the fledgling Tank Corps. It did not see any action as a formed body, but many of its members did as they became dispersed within other units.

I do not believe that the slouch hat was worn in France and Italy by 1st KEH, but have read somewhere that some of 2nd KEH may have done whilst in Ireland. By WW1 it was more a part of their full dress than service dress and as they did not deploy to the middle east theatre of war it was never really a practical form of head dress for them in wet and muddy Europe.

There is some more information here: http://alh-research....opic_id=1118360

The (original or 1st) Regiment was disbanded in March 1924, and both it and its comrades' association have ceased to exist. However, in 1909 the Regiment officially sanctioned and formed a regimental masonic lodge, the King's Colonials Lodge No 3386, in London. As the number of surviving members of the closed regiment dwindled, they opened membership of the regimental Lodge to all interested persons, and passed all regimental traditions to the Lodge. The Worshipful Master of the Lodge has an official entitlement to wear the regimental tie (now the only living person with that entitlement), and the Lodge became the custodians of all regimental property, including regimental silver valued at many thousands of pounds. The Lodge continues to function, and to maintain regimental traditions. The regimental property is stored by the Lodge in a secure vault at Haileybury College. The Lodge continues to tend regimental graves, and to lay wreaths at the regimental memorials in London and France.

post-599-0-34670700-1323515024.jpg

Hi FROGSMILE,

Wow...thanks so much for the regimental history.

A great uncle of mine was in 1st KEH, he was a Sgt Major in C Squadron. He was wounded at Passchendaele by a sniper.

The incident is mentioned in 'The History of King Edwards Horse' the book by their CO. Lt Col. Lionel James.

I've been on the hunt for the book, rare as rocking horse droppings !

My wife found a copy in the New York Public Library, and was able to photocopy the passages about C Squadron for me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to pass on what you know, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Wig

Hi FROGSMILE,

Wow...thanks so much for the regimental history.

A great uncle of mine was in 1st KEH, he was a Sgt Major in C Squadron. He was wounded at Passchendaele by a sniper.

The incident is mentioned in 'The History of King Edwards Horse' the book by their CO. Lt Col. Lionel James.

I've been on the hunt for the book, rare as rocking horse droppings !

My wife found a copy in the New York Public Library, and was able to photocopy the passages about C Squadron for me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to pass on what you know, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Wig

I fear you already knew most of it as I see you have posted quite a few times regarding this unit.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys...

The 1st & 2nd King Edwards Horse had the standard issue british cap during WWI. Please note though, the 2nd King Edwards Horse had no connection with the 1st Regiment except they 'pinched' the name.

Regards

agent13