Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Badges ?

Grandpacarr

Hello, Can anyone please help with the id of these badges from my collection ,are they ww1 which I have always believed them to be. Next could anyone say for definate what they are ,

but recently have seen other badges which have made me question the items I own. Also the tank badge which is silver bullion am I right in thinking it is an officers badge. Any information on these badges will be gratefully recieved. regards

Grandpacarr.

post-55186-0-05362500-1323450277.jpg

post-55186-0-49788500-1323450298.jpg

post-55186-0-44702700-1323450367.jpg

For my money (and I expect someone to pile in and disagree) I regret to say that none of them are WW1 period.

1. The tank is in bullion wire, so therefore from blue patrol uniform or full dress. Therefore earliest 1920s. The style of manufacture suggests some age (i.e. it is not a recent mess dress badge).

2. The first grenade is consistent with a post-WW2 Royal Engineers Sergeants' badge, worn above the stripes..

3. The last two are modern era Guards badges worn in No.2 dress by Warrant Officers above various other badges on the sleeve. The relatively subdued colouring points to Guards.

Bombers badges are red, so that rules this distinction out. The only thing I can add is that my HAC SD jacket from c.1918 has similar grenades to the lat two discussed, worn over corporal's stripes.

Peter

Well, the HAC wear Guards type trade badges in No.2 Dress, but in all honesty - having handled many of them - those last two are of modern construction.