Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying a U.S. uniform

mlwilson

I'm hoping to get some help identifying what I think might be a WWI uniform. This is a picture of my grandfather, taken at his college in the U.S., supposedly in 1917. What he's wearing looks to me like a uniform (all the other students are in obvious civvies). He didn't get called up for service until 1918. I can think of three possibilites:

1) The photo is mis-dated, and this really is his uniform. If so, I'd be interested in knowing what branch of the military, etc.

2) He's wearing military castoffs (in which case it wouldn't even have to be WWI stuff). He was dirt poor at the time.

3) This isn't actually a uniform.

Any help with identification would be appreciated!

post-86020-0-67265100-1323398158.jpg

There is another possibility - and that is this is an ROTC uniform - many college had a detatchment so it may be a military uniform of sorts.

It looks dark (black or dark blue?) - which college was he attending there may be leads there? (yearbooks, local papers/archives etc)

He has very impressive high laced boots on which suggest this is not a ceremonial uniform, possibly mounted?.

Chris

He was at Reed College in Portland OR. Interestingly, the Student Army Training Corps (precursor to ROTC) was co-founded by the President of Reed, but it didn't become active on the Reed campus until Fall 1918, many months after my grandfather enlisted. (There is also one photo of the SATC, but they're all bundled up in wooly coats so that's not much help.)

He was at Reed College in Portland OR. Interestingly, the Student Army Training Corps (precursor to ROTC) was co-founded by the President of Reed, but it didn't become active on the Reed campus until Fall 1918, many months after my grandfather enlisted. (There is also one photo of the SATC, but they're all bundled up in wooly coats so that's not much help.)

I posted a few comments to your other thread for what they are worth.

There were a number of uniformed organizations around (official and unofficial) - so it is hard to say - this does not look like any standard US uniform of which I am aware from the period. Do you know what he was studying - it might have some connection there? Or did he play an instrument (Band? - although the boots look more specialized....)

Chris

Agree that it doesn't look like any military uniform with which I am familiar. The buttons appear to be "punched through", rather than typical military buttons with shanks on the back for attachment. Those boots really don't look military to me. I would bet simply civilian clothes. Doc