Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Naval Insignia

BottsGreys

Can anyone shed light on the rank of the gent below? Could he be a midshipman?

Thanks so much,

Chris

post-23-1090872058.jpg

I`m sure you`ll get the correct answer from the ex-matelot members, but he looks like a "Wavy Navy" sub-lieutenent to me. Phil B

he looks like a "Wavy Navy" sub-lieutenent to me.

Agreed [Wavy Navy = RNR] but why no loop?

Expert advice needed here

Regards

Michael D.R.

Oops; pardon my slip

RNR has a double twist of sleeve lace

RNVR has a single

But still none the wiser re why no loop

Looking forward to correction here

Regards

Michael D.R.

Example below;

RNR on left and RNVR on right

[pic from IWM]

post-23-1090904801.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

I'm not a Naval expert by any means, but a faint memory makes me think that doesn't it suggest a 'Commissioned Warrant' ? I had a WW1/WW2 set of medals to a Warrant Gunner and this was how it was explained.

The other thing that points from this picture, is that there seems to be a circlet around the anchor (which usually carry lettering and aren't regular Navy); might this be a clue? Did the RNVR have a circlet around in WW1? Not sure...

Originally only Executive Officers had a curl on the upper ring of thier stripes ; Non-Executive Officers wore just plain straight stripes without the "executive" curls. I am not sure, however, when this tradition finished and all Officers had the curl. The stripe also looks thin enough to be that of a Warrant Officer

Steve

Could he be a midshipman?

Chris,

A Midshipman wore patches on his jacket collar as seen below in the pic of Mountbatten.

I think that Phil is heading in the right direction on this one and that a closer examination of the cap badge is required to determine if it is RN or not

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-23-1090909536.jpg

Thanks everyone, for your input--greatly appreciated. I am going to attempt to post an enlargement of the hat badge, hopefully it will be clear.

Chris

post-23-1090975484.jpg

Chris

Yes, that looks like the standard RN cap badge for Officers & Warrant Officers. He is either a Sub-Lieutenant or a Warrant Officer in the RNVR, the difference between the two ranks only being denoted by a difference in the width of the stripe. The Sub-Lieutenant had a full stripe and the Warrant Officer had a half stripe.

Steve

Yes, that looks like the standard RN cap badge

Steve,

I'm not really sure about that: as well as the circlet already mentioned, look how far up the crown the oak leaves reach when compared to Mountbatten's

Or are my eyes playing up again?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Yes, that looks like the standard RN cap badge

Steve,

I'm not really sure about that: as well as the circlet already mentioned, look how far up the crown the oak leaves reach when compared to Mountbatten's

Or are my eyes playing up again?

Regards

Michael D.R.

I expect that is just a Military Tailor's variation,you do see quite a variation in positioning of the Crown in relation to the LAUREL Wreath,& also the Width of this part of the Badge & Crown size.

Hello all, thanks again for all your suggestions:

The album in which this fellow's photo appears has an obituary and the photo of the grave of:

Name: McKEAG, JOHN JOSEPH

Initials: J J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: R.F.A. "Carol."

Date of Death: 04/04/1918

Additional information: Husband of Elvira McKeag, of Park Hurst, Park Lane, Bath. Born at Northallerton, Yorks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 1.

Cemetery: LYNESS ROYAL NAVAL CEMETERY

Based on the uniform of the fellow in the seated portrait, do you think he could be McKeag?

Chris