Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Care in Salonika1918

honest

My father served with the 11th RWF on the Varder Front near Lake Dorain.

In the Summer of 1918 he went sick with malaria and disentery, and was taken

to a Australian Base Hospital. Does anyone know the location of this hospital?

The Base hospitals were in and around Salonika, which was the Base Area. Depending on which part of the Vardar/Doiran area he was in at the time, he would have been brought to the Dudular Military Railway Station down the Monastir or Constantinople lines.

Period maps, produced by Austria-Hungary, of the Balkans are available, free, HERE. Maps 40-41 and 41-41 cover the XIIth and XVIth Corps areas as well as the area around Salonika.

Keith

There were no Australian hospitals at Salonika. A New Zealand stationary hospital was here for a while early on, but was transferred to France in March 1916. However, the Medical Services History does say that a relatively high number (302 out of 1574 at its peak) of nursing sisters were Australian. Three Australian nursing units arrived in July and August 1917, but how they were distributed among the (British) hospitals is not stated. I suppose some hospitals could have been more "Australian" than others...?

With dysentery your father may have been treated at No.42 General Hospital, which had wards especially for dysentery cases. In 1918 this was located at Uchantar, about 5 miles northwest of the city around 40.7N 22.84E.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

• 3 months later...

my own grandfather also served in the 11/RWF and was downgraded in April 1918, by June he was in number 1 converlesent camp, july a transfer to 982 co Labour corps. his record describes dysentry, Bronchatis and maleria, something he suffered with all his life

mattpost-29688-0-84627900-1332359033.jpg