Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hew Strachan - First Word War Volume 2

RodB

I was really pleased with Hew Strachan's first volume - he covered all the military, political and historical viewpoints in really serious depth, and it was also highly readable. His promised 3-volume series looked like becoming the definitive history of the war.

Does anybody know what is happening with volume 2 ?

Out of curiosity I fired off an email to Oxford University Press, asking if this three volume project was still live. Here's the response:

Dear George,

There is no news on this I am afraid. This is still planned, but I believe the author's other commitments have held up the completion of the series. It will certainly be a few years before the next volume does publish. My apologies.

Best wishes,

Michael

That is sad news. It's now 10 years since volume 1 came out and I had hoped the series would be complete by now. I suspect that I will have to look to my local library to supply the next volume for my reading pleasure.

Garth

When challenged on this in my hearing he has tended to say 'Ah yes...' shake of the head...

• 7 years later...

To paraphrase Shelby Foote, who wrote a magnificent 3- volume series on the American Civil War, "of course it takes a single author a long time to write the entire history of a war; there were so many more people fighting it." 

My local history diploma tutor told me that with research: "You need to have a target. Like getting it published. Before you die..."

Good advice, methinks! 

Bernard