Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Croix De Guerre

bcerha

My grandfather who was an RN Able Seaman but served on land from 1915-1917 manning field guns in the "Neuport Sector" was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French in 1917 for his role in sustaining smokescreens during an attack. I just wondered how often British serviceman were awarde these medals.

To my shame I have'nt fully researched his war record yet - but I do know he was invalided back to UK in 1917 when a shell blew up and partially blinded him in one eye. Thankfully he survived the war and lived until 1966.

Any help on this would be great

thanks

David

Lots of CDG were given to allied and US to award as they saw fit, many have the impression it's a more uncommon award than it is. You in turn give allied armies medals to distribute.

Thanks for that - I didn't think it was that rare, but how often was it given direct by the French themselves? I have a copy of my Grandfathers citation which is in French and was written by a French Colonel who recommended him for the award, so it would appear that this one was awarded by the French themselves and not a "gizzit" from the British! Does that make it any rarer?

David