Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions please on what this hat is!

steve fuller

Hi there

Gotta bit of a family thing going on here and wondered if anyone can help me avoid imminent bloodshed! :blink:

Could anyone please advise if the attached hat is likely to be a "Dragoon's" hat? Sorry, but I have no knowledge in this area and the books I have give no help!

Thanks everyone

Steve

post-23-1090858764.jpg

Steve - is the photo 19teens-ish? I'm no expert either, but it looks a litle like an old-fashioned fireman's helmet!!

Looks like a Ladies/Girls straw hat with some decoration* on it????,Circa 1910~20s

* Possibly "Dads" Cap Badge?

Looks like a Ladies/Girls straw hat with some decoration* on it????,Circa 1910~20s

* Possibly "Dads" Cap Badge?

Spot on!!! This style survived into the 1930's. Watch any Charlie Chaplin film (apart from Monsier Verdoux and The Great Dictator!!! :blink: ) and look at the background people. You'll likely see several of this style hat.

Definately not military, anyway.

Dave.

Thanks everyone. Ive been in the Straw Hat Brigade for years now but there are some who insist its a Dragoons Helmet.

All good fun! Cheers

Steve

some who insist its a Dragoons Helmet.

Maybe the Gay Hussar rather than a Dragoon.

some who insist its a Dragoons Helmet.

"I'm Free!!" :lol:

:D Sounds like a play! U sure the divisional concert parties didnt perform it?! Being charged by a Gay Hussar, with flowing pink feathers in his hat doesnt instill 'bowel loosening fear' does it! Conjures up an interesting picture though. Squadrons of pink feathers bouncing in neat lines accross no mans land ...

:D Sounds like a play! U sure the divisional concert parties didnt perform it?! Being charged by a Gay Hussar, with flowing pink feathers in his hat doesnt instill 'bowel loosening fear' does it! Conjures up an interesting picture though. Squadrons of pink feathers bouncing in neat lines accross no mans land ...

Didn't Lord Cardigan call his Troopers "Cherry Bums",though I feel the Colour of their Breeches had something to do with it!!! :P

Didn't Lord Cardigan call his Troopers "Cherry Bums",though iI feel the Colour of their Breeches had something to do with it!!! :P

Hope he meant their trousers! Unless that unit had some especially high morale levels that have been hitherto unexplained?? :blink: And I bet they all had faces like my smilie friend here too!

Thanks everyone. Ive been in the Straw Hat Brigade for years now but there are some who insist its a Dragoons Helmet.

All I can say is that I've never, ever seen a Dragoon's helmet that even resembles that hat from any nationality!!! :blink:

Where did this idea come from? (Unless "Dragoon's helmet" is some form of female fashion term that I've never come across, that is!)

Dragoon's helmets in the British, and many European armies (and, apart from parade wear, we're going way back to the mid-late 1800's and earlier in the British Army) always seemed to resemble the old fireman's helmet (tall, brass, front and rear peak, but nothing much in this line at the sides, with brass chin scales plus a plume or comb).

Dave.

(Harry - you sure it wasn't the "Cherrypickers"? )

"Cherry~pickers" was their 'official' nick~name;"Cherry Bums" was Lord Cardigan's Crimea Era "Nom de Guerre",due to their Scarlet Trews;{if you watch "The Charge Of the Light Brigade" {The one when David Hemmings was a Heartthrob & not wearing Curly blonde wigs as in Gladiator}Trevor Howard uses this expression.

All I can say is that I've never, ever seen a Dragoon's helmet that even resembles that hat from any nationality!!! :blink:

Where did this idea come from? (Unless "Dragoon's helmet" is some form of female fashion term that I've never come across, that is!)

Dragoon's helmets in the British, and many European armies (and, apart from parade wear, we're going way back to the mid-late 1800's and earlier in the British Army) always seemed to resemble the old fireman's helmet (tall, brass, front and rear peak, but nothing much in this line at the sides, with brass chin scales plus a plume or comb).

Dave.

Hi Dave

Someone Ive never met (family) keeps saying it, but Ive never agreed. Although I cant claim to KNOW, Dragoons conjure up the Firemans helmet impression for me too. I just cant see them in a flat hat!

All good fun innit? :rolleyes:

Cheers all

Steve