Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this cap badge please?

high wood

This chap is clearly wearing Life Guards slip on shoulder titles. He doesn't appear to be wearing a Life Guards cap badge. Can anyone please tell what is going on? Apologies for the poor quality of the images.

post-6480-0-69364800-1323010432.jpg

post-6480-0-75476500-1323010452.jpg

post-6480-0-75065800-1323010563.jpg

Thank you. It does but I think that is too big for the Leinsters. However, the L.G. shoulder title doesn't fit with the Leinster's shoulder title.

This chap is clearly wearing Life Guards slip on shoulder titles. He doesn't appear to be wearing a Life Guards cap badge. Can anyone please tell what is going on? Apologies for the poor quality of the images.

It is the General Service badge that was initially worn by the Labour Corps.

post-599-0-12544500-1323025340.jpg

Excellent deduction, thank you for your help. The cap badge image is blurred but it's obvious now that you have told me. I think that I was reading the shoulder title as L G because Westlake shows the Labour Corps title with a horizontal bar at the top and bottom. The chap is of course wearing a cloth title, Doh.

I had thought from my reading of medal index cards that the Labour Corps was primarily made up of soldiers from other regiments that had been wounded or who were in some way "less than fighting fit" or older men not fit for front line fighting. This chap appears to be young and in good health but there seems to be something distinctly odd about his left hand. However, he is not wearing a wound stripe.

I think you may have solved the problem Watson :thumbsup:

Holmes, if I may make so bold! :innocent:

Excellent deduction, thank you for your help. The cap badge image is blurred but it's obvious now that you have told me. I think that I was reading the shoulder title as L G because Westlake shows the Labour Corps title with a horizontal bar at the top and bottom. The chap is of course wearing a cloth title, Doh.

I had thought from my reading of medal index cards that the Labour Corps was primarily made up of soldiers from other regiments that had been wounded or who were in some way "less than fighting fit" or older men not fit for front line fighting. This chap appears to be young and in good health but there seems to be something distinctly odd about his left hand. However, he is not wearing a wound stripe.

Yes, I agree about the left hand. He seems to have lost a finger or two. Doc