Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FAMILY MEDAL GROUP VALUATION

tullybrone

Hi,

I am just posting this out of curiousity as these medals of my maternal grandfather and his 2 brothers are not for sale - too much sentimental value.

1. Mons Star, BWM & Victory Medal. Pre WW1 regular, recalled as a reservist - 2nd Coldstream Guards - entered France 26.8.1914 - badly wounded at Ypres 9.11.1914. Latterly 4th Coldstream Guards 1916-1919 on recovery from wounds. Died 1934.

2. 1914/15 Star, BWM & Victory Medal + Death Plaque - enlisted 3rd (Special Reserve) Northumberland Fusiliers May 1914 aged16 yrs - entered France with 2nd NF & wounded 19/20 Feb 1915. Returned BEF 29.6.15  & posted 1st NF. KIA 14.7.1916 Bazentin Le Grand, Somme - X Company 1st N.F. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial. Aged 18 yrs.

3. BWM & Victory Medal + Death Plaque - enlisted 1st Tyneside Scottish October 1914 - entered France 9.1.1916 - KIA 1.7.1916 La Boisselle, Somme - B Company 1st Tyneside Scottish. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial. Aged 23 yrs.

Steve Y.

Edited by tullybrone
Updated info

Hi,

I am just posting this out of curiousity as these medals of my maternal grandfather and his 2 brothers are not for sale - too much sentimental value.

1. Mons Star, BWM & Victory Medal. Pre WW1 regular, recalled as a reservist - 2nd Coldstream Guards - entered France 26.8.1914 - badly wounded at Ypres 9.11.1914. Latterly 4th Coldstream Guards 1916-1919 on recovery from wounds. Died 1934.

2. 1914/15 Star, BWM & Victory Medal + Death Plaque - enlisted 3rd (Special Reserve) Northumberland Fusiliers August 1914 - entered France 29.6.1915. KIA 14.7.1916 Bazentin Le Grand, Somme - X Company 1st N.F. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial

3. BWM & Victory Medal + Death Plaque - enlisted 1st Tyneside Scottish October 1914 - entered France 9.1.1916 - KIA 1.7.1916 La Boisselle, Somme - B Company 1st Tyneside Scottish. Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial

Steve Y.

Hi

If they were my my maternal grandfather and his 2 brothers medals they would be priceless

so the question is academic

regards Ray

Indeed they are emotionally priceless - and technically irreplacable. But if you want to insure them they have to be listed separately from household contents. So not quite as academic as it appears. Especially with a 1 July 1916 casualty group and plaque among them. Further research needed which I'll do later. Feel free to PM me if you wish to take this out of public forum.

With the interest in La Boiselle it wouldn't surprise me if 2 & 3 didn't reach 800 or 900 quid and Coldstreamers are of interest so probably over a £1000 for the 3 groups if they are all 'right'.

Hi Steve,

A very interesting family lot.

As for a valuation, I would agree with the valuation of circa £1000+. So for an insurance valuation this would need to be more like £1500. Any photographs of the three men and original ephemera relating to them would also add value to the grouping.

Hope this helps,

Robert

coldstream trio is £200-£220

Given that trios and plaques to 1 July casualties can reach £1000 I think that is an underestimate for the whole family set.

Given that trios and plaques to 1 July casualties can reach £1000 I think that is an underestimate for the whole family set.

The Tyneside Scottish group for 1/7/16, is and can only be, a BWM,VM and Plaque :thumbsup:

Thanks for the interest shown in my post.

I do have pictures of all 3 relatives although the Tyneside Scottish photo is not in a good condition as it is a 1970's photo of a 2 ft by 2 ft original studio shot that had been on the wall in my grandmothers house for 50+ years and was then left in the loft at my parents house for about 5 years and had deteriorated. I will have to give some consideration to trying to improve it via Photoshop or something similar. I am sure I can see him in one of the photo's in the John Sheen & Graham Stewart' Tyneside Scottish book.

I have various copies of letters written to the local paper from France in 1915/16 by the youngest great uncle - only 18 when he died - that I have researched and printed off in the library over the past couple of years. The local paper had a "Tommies Smokes Fund" and local men would write in asking for cigarettes to be sent out or acknowledging their receipt and also mentioning other local men they had seen out there. I also have the copy article published when they were killed. The Regimental Museums were also kind enough to let me have copies of the war diaries for the relevant dates when I enquired over 10 years ago.

I actually still have the entrenching tool that my grandfather brought back with him - well oiled and kept in a dry place - I can make out the manufacturers details. I used to have a flare pistol that he also kept but I handed that in to a firearms amnesty over 25 years ago.

I hadn't really thought of specifying the medals on the house insurance but will now have to give it some thought.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Steve Y.

• 1 month later...