Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info needed on MC & DCM to R.Warwickshire R.

206thCEF

Good day gentlemen. I'm here to ask for your help again. I am offered a group of medals comprising the following;

Military Cross: Unnamed

D.C.M.: 16-896 R.S.M. J. W. Windmill 16/ R. War R.

1914-1915 Star: 896 C.Sgt. J. W. Windmill R. War R.

War medal: 896 W.O.CL.1 J. W. Windmill R. War R.

Victory medal and M.I.D.: 896 W.O.CL.1 J. W. Windmill R. War R.

Can anyone give me some basics informations about RSM Windmill and why he was awarded the MC and DCM.

All infoormations and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

DCM

16/896 RSM J.W. WINDMILL. (Brierley Hill). For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.

He invariably displayed great courage and ability in operations when conditions were exceptionally

bad, and set a tremendous example of courage and determination. (17/4/1918)

His MIC shows his first name was joseph, and was a Colour Sergeant, then CSM.

He went to France 21/11/1915.

He was MID LG 22/5/1917 p5026

Played cricket for Brierley Hill. I think he's Joseph William Windmill, born c1882.

His brother was Pte 1415 Walter J Windmill, went to France the same day.

Can't find anything about an MC.

DCM

16/896 RSM J.W. WINDMILL. (Brierley Hill). For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.

He invariably displayed great courage and ability in operations when conditions were exceptionally

bad, and set a tremendous example of courage and determination. (17/4/1918)

His MIC shows his first name was joseph, and was a Colour Sergeant, then CSM.

He went to France 21/11/1915.

He was MID LG 22/5/1917 p5026

Played cricket for Brierley Hill. I think he's Joseph William Windmill, born c1882.

His brother was Pte 1415 Walter J Windmill, went to France the same day.

Can't find anything about an MC.

Well that was really quick......no speed limit on this Forum thumbsup.png

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

Jo

You are leaving out the most important info.here - he played for the Villa as a half-back. In the 1905 Cup winning team. Served 16th Bn Warwicks i.e. 3rd City Battalion or Bham Pals. Noted as a serjeant in Terry Carter's book on the Pals. Birmingham Weekly Post 2.6.17 has a story' Villa Footballer Honoured' meaning Mentioned in Despatches.CSM. Says he was a teacher, from Brierley Hill, Staff. Had attended Saltley College, Birmingham, to train. I have a poorish photo in Villa kit from the Picture World 22.11.14. So presumably MC and DCM not awarded yet.

I thought that was a blemish on his career, and best left unsaid. :ph34r:

I actually found a mention of that, but they had him down as Joseph Walter, born 1883 in Halesowen. Our man seems to have been born in 1881.

I hope it is him though.

You are leaving out the most important info.here - he played for the Villa as a half-back. In the 1905 Cup winning team. Served 16th Bn Warwicks i.e. 3rd City Battalion or Bham Pals. Noted as a serjeant in Terry Carter's book on the Pals. Birmingham Weekly Post 2.6.17 has a story' Villa Footballer Honoured' meaning Mentioned in Despatches.CSM. Says he was a teacher, from Brierley Hill, Staff. Had attended Saltley College, Birmingham, to train. I have a poorish photo in Villa kit from the Picture World 22.11.14. So presumably MC and DCM not awarded yet.

hello Alan, would it be possible to somehow have a scan of the page of the Birmingham Weekly Post of 2.6.17 for the story about his M.I.D.???

Thanks

Jo

right, if the MC is legit that is a $8500.00 or more on the general medal market, if just the DCM MID then about half that- I hope you get a good deal.

right, if the MC is legit that is a $8500.00 or more on the general medal market, if just the DCM MID then about half that- I hope you get a good deal.

Thanks Scott, my main problem is to find the reason(s) of the MC award which,on this side of the pond, is not an easy task Many many thanks to those colleagues that have helped so far.

Hopefully the work won't be for nothing and I will be able to acquire this group.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

He was awarded the MC in 1919 [King's Birthday Honours] so there will be no citation. Here it is. If you look at page 23 it states "Awarded the Military Cross"

I have a photocopy so I will dig it out to see what the quality is like. Will take a bit of digging out.

hello Alan, would it be possible to somehow have a scan of the page of the Birmingham Weekly Post of 2.6.17 for the story about his M.I.D.???

Thanks

Jo

Birmingham Weekly Post June 2 1917. Sorry about my markings.

post-17223-0-65084200-1322815957.jpg

Thank you very very much to Alan Tucker,Bardess,IPTand ScottM for your invaluable help with this group.You have done me a great service.

NOW, the hard part with the seller.....devilgrin.gif.....the price. I will try to keep you up-to-date with the final conclusion.

Again, many thanks,gentlemen.thumbsup.png

Cheers and a good day to all.

Jo