Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An old Pot.

Guest redrum

I was tempted to buy this at a recent fair for £65. It has no lining, but has original paint showing through the chipped re-paint job. other wise a shell in sound condition except for shrapnel or bullet holes. factory stamped SI 66. It is a M18 which is scarcer than the earlier M16. Was I robbed? I dont think so- but what does anyone else think pricewise at todays values?

Attached image of my sad looking M18.

I've seen worse priced higher!,I'd say you've done AOK,but I expect its original owner/wearer had a bit of a thumping headache!!! :rolleyes:

Buying a genuine and complete M16 or M18 Great War helmet is exceedingly tricky, beware of all the Bulgarian ones that seem to be appearing. Personally I would never buy anthing that has been repainted whatever the price.

Buying a genuine and complete M16 or M18 Great War helmet is exceedingly tricky, beware of all the Bulgarian ones that seem to be appearing. Personally I would never buy anthing that has been repainted whatever the price.

Agree on that :)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Well there are ways off taking off the new paint coating to reveal what is underneath in this case the original paintwork - have you thought about that?

Ian

i think its to high

Sorry

if he had orriginal paint not

but now :(

You prefere " picking" them up at the battle fields ;)

yeah Why not :lol::D

why do you say that anyway?

You dig battle fields, don't you, it is on your website, so... i assume you found helmets already?

I was tempted to buy this at a recent fair for £65. It has no lining,

Seeing as M16's in similar condition seem to be retailing at the £45 -£50+ level these days, I'd say that £65 for a M18 isn't too bad. Personally, I wouldn't have bought it for that ,but I'm a stingey sod, who thinks that everything in the militaria world is overpriced these days! :D

Dave.

yeah Why not :lol:  :D

why do you say that anyway?

You dig battle fields, don't you, it is on your website, so... i assume you found helmets already?

I go there every month

i don't dig that much

these finds are over the years

anzac,

never found a helmet? even not on a farm...

That is no lmuck at all.

But i know it is hard to find nice relics (all the Brits buy them :lol: )

I don't collect anymore of that stuff, but there was a time (5 years) it was easy to find some relics on a farm.

Its getting less now a days

you don't find helmets that fast anymore

yes i did found some helmets but that was in the 80ies

and you mean Mow Cow fram?