Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Leicestershire Regiment

shinglma

Does anybody have any information on the 8th Btn Leicestershire Regiment and there whereabouts in June 1916. I believe they may have been near Hannescaps south west of Arras but if anyone could throw any more light on to the subject I would be most grateful.

Matthew Richardson's 'Tigers' (Pen & Sword 2000) should prove useful - it is now available in pbk. IL Read's 'Of Those We Loved' (c.1990) is also available; he was a soldier in the 7th Leic (?) in the same Brigade. It is available from Ray Westlake Military Books.

6th, 7th, 8th & 9th Leicesters made up 110 Brigade. They were supported by 124 Brigade Royal Field Artillery (Great Uncle Benjamin Hartley was serving with them when he was killed on 29 June 1916).

The brigade was indeed in the Monchy/Hannescamps area. A number of them are buried in Hannescamp Cemetery (as is Benjamin).

I'm afraid I have no information about the activities of 8th battalion. You could try writing to Loughborough War Memorial Trust, Carillon Tower, Queens Park, Loughborough. They were very helpful in getting me some info about the 6th & 7th battalions' activities on the night Benjamin was killed.

John B)