Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badge

wwoo46

I agree with Simon that he is a Royal Dublin Fusilier. The badge is quite distinctive, as are the shoulder titles.

and ST.

post-599-0-35514800-1322740477.jpg

post-599-0-74238100-1322740542.jpg

He has his overseas chevrons on the wrong sleeve.

...Or the photo was printed back to front??? :thumbsup:

In which case the Good Conduct Chevron is on the wring sleeve! :D

Steve.

Buttons are the right way round.

...Or the photo was printed back to front??? :thumbsup:

Buttons are the right way round.

As pointed out, the jacket in the photo buttons up correctly (ie left over right), so the Overseas chevrons are the ones on the wrong sleeve.

I can't blow it up where I am currently - but the overseas chevrons look like they have been added to the photograph later by a retoucher (I can't see any border where they would have been sewn on) who probably didn't have a clue where they should be, or wanted to put them where they were visible. I can't imagine our man getting past the Guardroom looking like this, as he is 'improperly dressed'.

They wouldn't be able to be seen on the other sleeve due to the pose of the sitter-- so the photographer probably added them later. Unless of course they were removed from their correct postion and simply tacked on left sleeve for the photo?

Thanks lads. Some great detective work.Looks like the overseas service chevrons are on the wrong sleeve alright. The soldier in the photo was my grandfather, a private in the RDF invalided out after a gas attack, I believe.