Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge identification.

simonpg

Hi Simon,

This looks very much like a VTC(Volunteer Training Corps)WW1 period badge. It may be just a general VTC badge rather than to a specific area.

Hope this helps.

Robert

PS If you could get a clearer image? I think it will have the date 1914 or 1915 on the front. You can make out VTC.

A photographers mark on the reverse would indicate to which VTC unit he belonged.

The original badge scan was at 1200dpi. Attached is at 2400dpi. Doesn't seem any clearer. I think that is the limitation of the original photograph.

Studio - USA Studios, London & Provinces.

post-34825-0-11534600-1322732574.jpg

Pity about the photographers mark being a general one as we could have identified the possible unit, if a town or city had been named.

Hi Simon,

Can't ID it but looks like crossed lances to me + blackened buttons on the tunic.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Can't ID it but looks like crossed lances to me + blackened buttons on the tunic.

Simon

As Graham has said it is a VTC badge of the generic design that differed only in the title scroll, which in this case is Surrey. The crossed devices are rifles as opposed to lances and this was the most strikingly common feature of the badge's design. The buttons appear to be of the compressed leather type.

post-599-0-57934600-1322740120.jpg

post-599-0-92941700-1322759784.jpg

post-599-0-79262600-1322759792.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. Thanks Frogsmile for the image of the VTC Surrey badge. Much appreciated.

Simon