Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this cap badge

leofric

Cap Badge looks like the kings Own Yorkshie Light Infantry. Not sure about the tiangular patch , could be a Brigade patch.

tony P

I agree with Tony and Old Owl. KOYLI it is.

post-599-0-65730700-1322693473.jpg

Thanks everyone. I was led to believe it was the acorn and oak leaves of the South Notts Hussars as he was from Nottingham.

You can just about make out that his shoulder title was in two parts, which would have looked like this.....

post-599-0-62807400-1322749027.jpg

post-599-0-22472500-1322749043.jpg

• Admin

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171977&st=0&p=1670263&fromsearch=1entry1670263

I thought it was KOYLI, nice to be proved correct.................

Michelle

http://1914-1918.inv...1

I thought it was KOYLI, nice to be proved correct.................

Michelle

Spot on Michelle, and the other photo with the collar badges was also KOYLI. thumbsup.png

• 1 month later...

Which leaves me with a bit of a mystery.

All of my family tell me that this is Bertie Fowler who was killed in 1917 whilst serving with the Sherwood Foresters. That in itself is not a problem as we know that soldiers moved between units.

However, his medal card appears to indicate that he entered the war after 1915 and only served with the Sherwood Foresters. Both photo's of him are clearly in KOYLI uniform and one clearly shows both a wound stripe and a long service chevron.

Of course there is no service record available.

HELP!

post-83325-0-98541500-1325870325.jpg

By the way - I have been contacted offline and informed that the answer to my first question is that the shoulder badge indicates he was in the 49th Division, making him 4th or 5th Battalion KOYLI.

I've learnt a very important lesson from this case. That lesson is - don't always believe what family members tell you.

My mother told me that "without doubt" this was a photograph of her uncle Bertie. After many weeks of trying to work out how it could be I have now found that it isn't. It is in fact his sister's brother-in-law Ernest Samples, who did indeed serve with the 2/5 KOYLI and survived the war but died shortly afterwards. There is also a partial set of service papers available for him. In some ways I have been wasting my time but in another way I'm glad that I have been able to put a name to the face of this long forgotten soldier.

Thank you to everyone who helped me to work this one out in the end.

• 3 months later...

By the way - I have been contacted offline and informed that the answer to my first question is that the shoulder badge indicates he was in the 49th Division, making him 4th or 5th Battalion KOYLI.

Hi,

I just asked a question elsewhere on the forum about the 49th Division (i.e. where each regiment/unit was immediately before embarkation for France) and this caught my eye. You say the shoulder patch (the Diamond ... not sure of colour) indicates the 49th Division, however I have been told (and I think The Long Long Trail says the same) that the Divisional badge of the 49th was a White Rose of York. Am I missing something and could anyone help me with any pictures of this badge?

Cheers

Dave