Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trio (have I paid to much)

noe

Hi, I went Beltring,Kent over the weekend and picked up a 1914-15 star trio. Oviously there was the three medals, the 14-15 star had its ribbon missing but the rest had theirs. It also came with the guys origional discharge paper. I paid £50. Not knowing to much, but I thought the paper might bump up the price abit ? Did I over pay or did I get a deal ?

regards

Noe

Hi, I went Beltring,Kent over the weekend and picked up a 1914-15 star trio.  Oviously there was the three medals, the 14-15 star had its ribbon missing but the rest had theirs.  It also came with the guys origional discharge paper.  I paid £50.  Not knowing to much, but I thought the paper might bump up the price abit ?  Did I over pay or did I get a deal ?

regards

Noe

Wot a Bargin!!!

Sounds good to me! Youre lucky to obtain ANY trio under £60.00 these days,especially with original documentation,

What Regiment/Corps was it to Any details?

Here's a photo (sorry about the quality) The details are; 1121. DVR. W.H.NUTTALL. R.E. So I guess from that he was an driver for the 'Royal Enginers' ?

post-23-1090848088.jpg

I have noticed that several medal dealers are selling corps trios for around 65 quid; infantry trios in the 85 pound range. Note that these are non-casualty groups.

Here's a photo (sorry about the quality) The details are; 1121. DVR. W.H.NUTTALL. R.E. So I guess from that he was an driver for the 'Royal Enginers' ?

Just an observation from your piccie..........the ribbons are on the wrong medals!!!

Here's a picture of my grandfathers medals with ribbons!

gordon

post-23-1090854782.jpg

mmmm, I wonder why the ribbons are on the wrong way round, should I put the ribbons on correct medals ? My medal are non-casualty, the sad thing is, if he was a casualty of the great war, there would be more research to be done. Good for him though he survived.

That's a nice little group you've got there Noe and a good price too!

I wouldn't be disapointed about the fact that it is a non casualty group, as there is still many avenues of research and especially seeings you've got his discharge certificate as well!

If i was you i would swap the ribbons onto the correct medals and try to get hold of a piece of original 14-15 Star ribbon, (Try not to get the horrible modern weave stuff).

Well done!

Just one thing I have noticed after looking at them, the regtl no on the medals are'1121', but on the paper it's '446598' ? Is this because (I believe) in 1916 some regiments changed their numbering to a longer number system to cope for the more larger requements.

Just one thing I have noticed after looking at them, the regtl no on the medals are'1121', but on the paper it's '446598' ?  Is this because (I believe) in 1916 some regiments changed their numbering to a longer number system to cope for the more larger requements.

I expect if you peruse the discharge sheet further you will find the letters TF or Territorial Force mentioned,his 1121 number would be his original TF number.the later 6 figure number the 1916 Re Numbering of his TF Number

Just one thing I have noticed after looking at them, the regtl no on the medals are'1121', but on the paper it's '446598' ? Is this because (I believe) in 1916 some regiments changed their numbering to a longer number system to cope for the more larger requements.

Noe,

Going off 446598 as his new TF number this would indicate that he was a member of the 1st Field Coy R.E. Welsh Div T.F.(Territorial association, Chester).

This info was taken from Williamson's "The Collectors and Researchers guide to the Great War".

However i'm unsure what the correct Field Coy number would be for this Unit.

Ski

Got it!

Found it on the Mother site.

The Company was 436 Field Company R.E. and was part of the 53rd (Welsh) TF.

Details of where this Div served is also on the mother site.

Going back to your original question ("Did i pay too much?"). I would again say, definately not! You have got yourself a bargain.. You will often find that medals with a Welsh conection will often sell for a slightly higher price.

Cheers,

Ski

Thank you Ski for this invalueable information, when Ive got a chance I will take my self down to the PRO for some research. The writting is hard to read on the discharge paper but I can make out he had something to do with '3rd D H Q ?

PS, What website did you get your information from ?

Noe,

The site is this forum's mother site i.e, www.1914-1918.org

Are you sure the unit isn't 53 DHQ(53rd Divisional Headquaters)?

Can you get a better scan of the disharge cert?

Ski

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Just one thing I have noticed after looking at them, the regtl no on the medals are'1121', but on the paper it's '446598' ?  Is this because (I believe) in 1916 some regiments changed their numbering to a longer number system to cope for the more larger requements.

I expect if you peruse the discharge sheet further you will find the letters TF or Territorial Force mentioned,his 1121 number would be his original TF number.the later 6 figure number the 1916 Re Numbering of his TF Number

You mean 1917 of course ;)

Ian

You mean 1917 of course ;)

Ian

Of course!Slippy digits!

1917 was the year that the Territorial Force was 'renumbered',so that men who had previously had a 4 digit number{which could be & often was repeated even within the same Regiments TF Battalions}received a 6 digit number [ie the service/army number @ the top of your document}In a series of Numbers peculiar to the Unit & also a number in that series peculiar to one individual

Noe,

Yeah i can see now. It definately says 3rd DHQ. So unless the 5 was missed out by mistake it looks like his final discharge was from 3rd Divisional Headquaters.

The next step would be to do a some work at the National Archives, to see if his soldier's papers survive and to check the Medal roll, as this may give you more clues.

Ski