Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meritorious Service Medal

iamshe

Good afternoon

I am trying to find information on Meritorious Service Medal awarded to my grandfather, Sgt Charles John Tooth, Regimental number 1212. I have a paper stating that he was awarded this medal but I cant find out what this medal was for or why he received it. It says Italy on the papers, does this mean he was awarded the medal in Italy or was he in Italian regiment. Also can anyone tell me what the colour of the ribbons are.

Many many thanks.

is this what you have?

There is no date given and the medal ribbon changed so you need the date of issue.

1845–1916: crimson

1916–1917: crimson with white edges

1917–: crimson with white edges and a white centre stripe

post-11859-0-02383800-1322663432.jpg

Actually I do know, it was the peace Gazette so 3rd June 1919.

Then it will be the crimson with three white stripes. 'ITALY' means it was awarded for service in the Italian Theatre of Operations. I will have to revert to notes, but I am pretty certain that there are not very many MSMs to the Army Gymnastic Staff (a predecessor of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps)

They were Gazetted but I can't find this man, and you are right a search of Army Gymnastic Staff doesn't lead to many hits.

I wonder if he had served previously, there is another card for a Charles J Tooth A/WOII 38147 Norfolk Regt. It may just be coincidence but there is a notation on the top of this card in the same handwriting as on the MSM award card.

Thank you all so much for your help. I do have that card from the NA and i am positive it is the right man. Regarding the Norfolk Regiment, he lived in Sevenoaks in Kent, would he have been in that Regiment? Sorry I am so ignorant in this matter but I certainly appreciate all the help I can get. I have googled his name but the most i get is dentists!

Thank you for your reply. I have a photograph of him in a uniform so I will have a look to see if I can find any insignia on cap badge.

I will be in touch. Thanks again.

They were Gazetted but I can't find this man, and you are right a search of Army Gymnastic Staff doesn't lead to many hits.

I wonder if he had served previously, there is another card for a Charles J Tooth A/WOII 38147 Norfolk Regt. It may just be coincidence but there is a notation on the top of this card in the same handwriting as on the MSM award card.

I believe that they are one and the same. The entry you couldn't find is this one, London Gazette #31372, 3rd June 1919, Page 6944. Link is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31372/pages/6944 and it would appear to be for the same man.

The KING has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the award of the Meritorious Service Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men,in recognition of valuable services rendered with the British Forces in Italy:;

NORFOLK REGIMENT.

38147 Sjt. (A./Coy./S./M.I.) Tooth, C. J. (Sevenoaks).

Regards

Steve

• 2 years later...

My grandfather Company Sergeant Major Instructor R.S. Parr was A.G.S. and received the Meritorious Service Award for service in "France and Flanders". He and about 30 other members of the A.G.S. who received the award are listed on page 6912 of the June 3 1919 London Gazette.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31370/page/6912

He went to France in February 1917, trained Australian and New Zealand troops until the end of the war, and remained in Germany until January 1919 with the NZRB after the Armistice.

I have two A.G.S. cards with the AGS name and logo which are printed "Your name was forwarded to me for recognition of the valuable service rendered by you" and then filled in "with the British Armies in France" and signed by Lt Col W.T.S. Huntingdon. The first is dated Sept 28 1918, the other March 7 1919. I don't know if this kind of recognition is the same as being 'mentioned in dispatches', but perhaps it contributed to his receiving the award. I wonder if he and other instructors left their training duties at some point to step up and fight, hence the recognition?

Hello

I am trying o find the gazette listing for this medal. if anyone can help would be appreciated.

also in regards to the rank what is a Farr Sergeant?

regard and thanks

caz

post-107717-0-20228000-1405600535_thumb.