Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

therevells

I am trying to find information about Albert Bernard Hardcastle, he has three records = Bernard Hardcastle, Penraven Grove, Meanwood Road, Leeds, 3rd Regiment 8185 november 1916-Jan 1917 and 21st Regiment 41793 1st Jan 1917- Killed In Action, His Dog Tag details B Hardcastle 2195 York West. I am very confused and would like as much help as possible please.

Hi - and welcome to the Forum.

The man with regimental number 41793 is listed on Soldiers Died in the Great War as Bernard Alfred Hardcastle, so perhaps not your man:-

Name: Bernard Alfred Hardcastle

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 16 Jun 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Leeds

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Battalion: 21st Battalion

Number: 41793

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: HARDCASTLE

Initials: B A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 21st Bn.

Date of Death: 16/06/1917

Service No: 41793

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 7.

Cemetery: ST. NICOLAS BRITISH CEMETERY

The two West Yorks numbers you post were allocated to:

2185 Thomas R Armstrong,and,

8185 Fred Pogson.

There is an Albert B Hardcastle in the Medal Cards but he was KOYLI 12/579.

Sotonmate

this is the person i am looking for, i have pictures and details of his war grave, we have his medals and death penny, but do not have any picures of him, or any history of what he did under the other army numbers

Name: Bernard Alfred Hardcastle

Birth Place: Leeds

Death Date: 16 Jun 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Leeds

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Battalion: 21st Battalion

Number: 41793

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

tr

The number 2195 you mention on his dog tag just might have been his at an earlier stage,maybe prior to war and before he left the regular Army and joined the Reserve,only to be called up on war service,when he got a new number ?

Further complication in that there are three soldiers who have Medal Cards with the West Yorks number 2195,which suggests that the Regt re-issued numbers freely after they became available.None of them is BAH !

When you say he has three records do you mean that he has service records,or is this just that there are three references to the name ?

I see that you have the man and the number to match the death,BUT,just trying to make sense of your other info.

Sotonmate

If i am reading this right?

2195 number issused late 1888 [Dec] to early 1889 [Jan].

8185 number issused late 1906 but if a 3/8185 number this issused 1911.

41793 number issused Sept 1916.

So if he was at the most a 21 year man he came out 1910 and enlist as a special reservist in 1911, or served less and re enlisted in 1906 for period.

I have seen in the 41*** series of numbers [ have mentioned in other posts] of time expired or men that have been discharged from the army on medical grounds re enlisting into this number range.

If your are willing to let me know some more information contained within the paper work you have of age ect, i may be able to pin point the numbers and dates a bit better for you.

Regards Kevin

This is all the information i have relating to my great great grandfather, if there is anything else you need , just ask, and thankyou for your help so far

Birth Certificate Alfred Bernard Hardcastle. 11/04/1887 9b 524

Bernard Alfred Hardcastle married Ethel Dickinson Sept qtr 1909 Leeds 9b 965

War Gratuity Claim 41793 21st West Yorkshire Regiment

Bernard Hardcastle -Penraven Grove, Meanwood Road, Leeds

3rd Regiment 8185 november 1916-Jan 1917

21st Regiment 41793 1st Jan 1917- Killed In Action

George Medal 1914-1918

Dog Tag B Hardcastle 2195 York West

(Death Penny) Inscribed He died for freedom and Honour Bernard Alfred Hardcastle British War Medal 41793 Pte Bernard A Hardcastle And record office letter addressed to E Hardcastle

Record Office 17/12/1921 Award of Victory Medal to pte Bernard Alfred Hardcastle 41793 West Yorkshire regiment, services to British forces during great war. To Mrs E Hardcastle Penraven Grove, Meanwood road leeds.

West Yorkshire Regiment 17/12/1921

Penraven Grove, Meanwood Road, Leeds, Mrs E Hardcastle. The Great War of Civilisation 1914-1991 Medal 41793/A35

National Registration Act Book 1915 9714 oct 24 1916. This is to certify that Bernard A Hardcastle of Penraven Grove, Meanwood Road, Leeds has been registered under national registration act 1915.

Inperial War Graves commission 82 Baker Street, W1 St Nicholas British Cemetery 09/05/1923

Hi

We know that he had the 41793 number in June 1917 and this number was issused in the Sept of 1916, he died aged 30.

As for the 8185 number, this is a worry, as you state he was in the 3rd Battalion of the West Yorks from Nov 16 to Jan 17, there is two possibles here as he may have had the prefix 3/ or 4/. Has stated before with the 3/ prefix this is a 1911 issuse number, but with a 4/ prefix this number was issused July/August 1914, so the 4/ prefix looks more likely.

As for the dog tag with the number 2195, not sure. As this number looks more likley to be to the TF.

Are we 100% sure that it is a dog tag?

Are we sure it is to the same B. Hardcastle as in the 41793 number?

Is there any chance that you could up load a picture of the dog tag with the number on.

Also i would say he was with the 21st Battalion from the Jan/Feb of 1917 [ i.e entered France on this date ].

Regards Kevin

Hi after re reading all the information.

Bernard registered for the Armed forces on the 24th Oct 1916.

By the other account he was called to service in the Nov of 1916 and then posted to the 21st Battalion in the Jan of 1917, he may well have not gone to France until the April of 1917.

As with the 41*** series of numbers the dates for the this numbering cover a wide date range as it also covers men coming from other Battalions.

As for the other two numbers that you have mentioned i am in a puzzle with them, as the dates for issuse are way off the Oct 1916 area and even if the 2195 number was his, this would still be a pre war TF number.

I am thinking that the 8185 nuber was a Training Reserve number that would have a TR/5/8185 like number, as he may well have been in the Blyth area on enlistment, as the 19th, 20th Battalions West Yorks where the reserve battalions and became the 88th and 89th Training Reserve Battalions, but also in this area where the 3rd Reseve Battalion of the West Yorks.

Still thinking about it all.

Regards Kevin