Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Maps for the Middlesex Regiment

Simon Mills

I was wondering if anyone can help with regard to some trench maps.

Two of my great uncles were killed in the Ypres salient during the war, fighting with the Middlesex regiment. Based on the unit war diaries these are the available details:

L/10215 Nathaniel Hodgson (3rd Battalion) was listed as missing presumed dead in the trenches (Ypres area) on 15th February 1915. At this time the 3rd Middlesex regimental war diary says that they were fighting in and around N, O and P trenches.

L/13773 Arthur Hodgson (13th Battalion) was killed in the trenches (Zillebeke area) on 8th June 1917. The 13th Middlesex regimental war diary details that their attack front stretched from Ravine Wood & Verhaest Farm (on the right) via Olive Trench to the Hollenbeke Road (on the left).

Does anyone have any maps of the trench systems in question, or know where I may be able to locate them?

Many thanks,

Simon.

Ravine Wood, Verhaest and the Hollebeke Road are on this map dated 3/7/1917. Courtesy of TNA trench map CD from N and M Press.

Roger

post-42671-0-17108800-1322591051.jpg

Roger,

Many thanks for the information -- and so quickly too...

I'm a bit of a newcomer to the history of the Middlesex regiment, as most of my research so far has been into my grandfather (he was in the Royal Field Artillery -- 106 Brigade) and his brother, who was in the Royal Navy (he died on HMS Bulwark in 1914), so I am trying to fill many gaps as possible. In any event, your map is very helpful and it will hopefully help to put into context how great uncle Arthur died.

Thanks again,

Simon.

Roger,

Thanks to your 1917 map and the current on-line Google Earth images, I was able to find a more recent aerial image of the 1917 Ravine Wood/Verhaest Farm area. In spite of the destruction it's amazing how much of the pre-war road layout survives.

Thanks again,

Simon.

post-85735-0-74933000-1323175507.jpg

Simon

Glad to have been of help. I have used many comparisons of trench maps with Google Earth when reserching my Grandfathers.

Roger