Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ministry of Pension hospital. Orpington. Kent

Lscubagirl

Hello everyone. This is my 1st post! My G Grandada, George Alexander Lowe was in the great war. He is buried in Southampton with a date of 7th August 1925. My Grandma recieved a pension payment of £148. He passed away in the Pension hospital in Kent. I dont know the cause of death I cant find his death on the ancestry site.

I wonder if anyone coulld help me by letting me know how I find out what reg he was in and why he died so long after the war ended in a military hospital?

Many thanks

Lyn

Hello Lyn and welcome to the Forum,

I would suggest that your next port of call, if you have not been able to find a surviving service and / or pension record on Ancestry, is to obtain his death certificate. It will certainly give you the cause of death and may give you a clue as to his regiment.

The reference is:

Deaths September Quarter 1925

LOWE, George A, age 39

Bromley 2a 534

Phil

Hello Lyn,

It appears that the £148 you mentioned was in fact the value of his personal effects on granting of probate and not a widow's pension.

As Phil says, you should be able to obtain his death certificate with the reference given. If he did serve in a war zone then finding his medal(s) would help trace his unit. Ask family members if they know more details. It may seem a little daunting but the more you tell us the more we are able to help.

Ministry of Pensions hospitals were not military hospitals, though some of them had been during the war. When the war ended the number of sick and disabled ex-servicemen was too great a burden for the civil hospitals, and some hospitals were opened under the direction of the Ministry of Pensions (rather than the War Office) for ex-servicemen who needed ongoing care on either a permanent/intermittent/temporary basis. I believe that a few were open right up until the start of the Second World War.

Sue

Oh crickey! Thank you all very much indeed for your help. As you may have guessed like so many people these days I am researching my family tree. I remember my Granny very well, she passed away in 1972. I remembering her telling me how my Grandad had fought in the Great War but he had died. I never imagined that he would live for so long after the end of the war in so much pain and not die at home with his kin. Does anyone have any pictures of the hospital in 1925? I can't seem to find any on the net!

I can't wait to find out more about him, but I am afraid I really have draw a blank! Once again, thank you so much. I'll keep you posted!

Oh crickey! Thank you all very much indeed for your help. As you may have guessed like so many people these days I am researching my family tree. I remember my Granny very well, she passed away in 1972. I remembering her telling me how my Grandad had fought in the Great War but he had died. I never imagined that he would live for so long after the end of the war in so much pain and not die at home with his kin. Does anyone have any pictures of the hospital in 1925? I can't seem to find any on the net!

I can't wait to find out more about him, but I am afraid I really have draw a blank! Once again, thank you so much. I'll keep you posted!

It is well nigh impossible to get records from that hospital. My grandfather was in it for some time in 1917 when he had to have his arm amputated and I have been trying for some time to get info.

As far as your grandfather is concerned, there are several George Lowe's pension and other military records on Ancestry - the U.K. site. It should be easy enough for you to check if one of them is your relative since they provide quite a bit of information relating to spouse etc.

Hazel C.

Thanks Hazel,

I have also been looking on Ancestry. My Grandma's name was Florence Lowe Nee Middleton. I can't find too much infor, but will keep looking. I've kind of drawn a blank with Grandad's service record!

• 5 months later...
Guest sddalk

Lscubagirl

I found you great grandad's war record on ancestry.George Low born abt 1885 Norfolk.Military 1903.

There are lots of pages with everything you want to know.Just keep clicking next page until you get to the next person

Good luck

Hiya sddalk,

Thanks very much for your efforts, but ths is not my Grandad. My Grandad was living in Bournmouth in 1911 he worked as a post man. I rally have drawn a blank!

• Admin

There is only one G.A. Lowe in the mic on A****try he was discharged as no longer physically fir for war service on 19.06.1916.

He was in the Army Service Corps and the number prefix M2 indicates 'Mechanical Transport'. He went to France on the 12th September 1915.

There's no certainty it was your grandfather and unfortunately this soldier does not appear to have applied for/been issued with a SWB which is a bit disappointing as it would tell us his age on discharge but no reason why you shouldn't start with the obvious before you discount him.

Ancestry link

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=medalrolls&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-i&gsfn=g.%20a.&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=lowe&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&uidh=yi4&cp=11&fh=0&fsk=&bsk=&rank=1&pgoff=

Ken

• 1 year later...
Guest lorrainekaren

Dear Great War Forum

Hope you will find these diaries useful:

War Diaries Of The First World War

16th Canadian General Hospital (Ontario Hospital, Orpington)

http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=general+hospital&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=17&f=G

6th Canadian General Hospital (Ontario Hospital, Orpington)
Hazel, was Andrew Clark your grandfather who was cared for in the Ontario Hospital, Orpington during WWI?
I am currently helping to research for a Heritage Lottery Fund WWI project, Caring For Casualties Of The Great War In Bromley, as Bromley, Kent, England was very important in caring for injured soldiers during and after World War One, with the Ontario Military Hospital, Orpington being located in the London Borough Of Bromley.
Please contact Bromley (Kent, England) Local Archives if you would like further details about the project
There will be an event at All Saints Church, Orpington in 2016 commemorating the patients, doctors and nurses from the Ontario Hospital during World War One.
Lorraine Courtenay
Orpington, Kent, England

There are 3 SWBs to George A Lowe. One has no age given and no service overseas, the other is R4558 KRRC and would be the right age if your George A Lowe's birthday was 11th Sept.

The third one one is too old

TEW

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I really can't thank you all enough for all the help I have received from this site concerning my G.Grandad. He sounds a jolly decent and very hard working chap and I am sure I woulod have loved him very much had I have known him. My Granny never remarried since his death in 1925. I can understand when she used to say once she'd had the best then nothing else would do!

Thank all so much

Lyn x

Dear Great War Forum

http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=general+hospital&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=17&f=G

http://data4.collectionscanada.gc.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=general+hospital&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=8&f=G

Hazel, was Andrew Clark your grandfather who was cared for in the Ontario Hospital, Orpington during WWI?

I am currently helping to research for a Heritage Lottery Fund WWI project, Caring For Casualties Of The Great War In Bromley, as Bromley, Kent, England was very important in caring for injured soldiers during and after World War One, with the Ontario Military Hospital, Orpington being located in the London Borough Of Bromley.

Please contact Bromley (Kent, England) Local Archives if you would like further details about the project

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/info/200064/local_history_and_heritage/377/local_studies_library_and_archives

There will be an event at All Saints Church, Orpington in 2016 commemorating the patients, doctors and nurses from the Ontario Hospital during World War One.

Lorraine Courtenay

Orpington, Kent, England

I've just seen your post and Hazel has been unavailable for a few weeks and has had limited internet access. There is a good chance that she hasn't seen this post. I will pass it on via other means and I'm sure she will be in touch when she returns. Thanks for posting. I am sure she will be very interested.

Dear Great War Forum

Lorraine Courtenay
Orpington, Kent, England

hi Lorraine,

Thank you so much for the links. Have just returned from Scotland but my wits have not yet properly returned, so have not yet read the diaries. Thanks also to you Marjorie, will be writing to both of you soon.

Hazel