Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France and her Army

Joe Sweeney

With more and more non British topics being discussed I though I would post some items that people may find of interest.

The attached image is a few items of French Gas protection I've managed to collect.

Two Lunettes de Meyrowitz-- adopted in Mid September 1915 and made of rubber.

One Lunette (bottom) of a type introduced in July 1915.

One Sachet S2--carried the Lunettes and usually a Tampon P type mask.

One Tampon T--Introduced in Dec 1915

Metal Carrier-- introduced September 1915

La Masque M2 second model--adopted in April 1916

L' ARS (Appariel repiratoire special) mle 17 with metal carrier--Introduced in Feb 1917 but issue only began in ernest in Nov. 1917.

Hope this is of interest and starts some lively discussions on the French Army.

Joe Sweeney

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Joe,

That's quite a collection you have there. I suggest that you have them in a safe place, as in a special block to place them on and it would be great if you could set them up in a special, lively way. However, a very impressive collection, Joe.

-Doughboy

• 3 weeks later...

Joe

Any information on how the ARS compared, performance-wise, to the SBR?

Also: any background on the US addition of its clunky chest 'brace' to the SBR too?

Regards,

I've always found the relative scarcity of works on the French in English surprising and disappointing. I would love to see more 'battle-specific' works on French participation, particularly on others than Verdun.

Someday,

Neil

Almost forgot, nice collection! :)

Goveton,

I have no comparitive info for ARS versus SBR. I would assume that the ARS inhereted the same limitations and good points as the German series of masks.

American Chest Brace?

Neil,

Yes, the lack of decent English language works on the French Army is very frustrating.

It has forced me to develop an ability to read French to an extent--just don't talk French to me as I have no knowledge on how to prenounce.

Joe Sweeney

Joe

By chest brace I mean the bracket at the upper end of the hose, that seems as if it should rest on the sternum/ throat, holding the hose up and out slightly from the body.

When I lived in Paris, I was told that my 'French' accent was in fact Belgian. And I think that was, for reasons best known to that Parisien, meant to be insulting...

Rgds,

I've actually seen quite a lot of reenactors wearing the American respirator and it does not seem to bother them.

I actually have a few SBRs that have had a modified brace added (not quite the same as on an American Mask but very similar). I assume that the brace was an American addition to the SBR.

Joe Sweeney

It has forced me to develop an ability to read French to an extent--just don't talk French to me as I have no knowledge on how to prenounce.

Hi Joe,

I know what you mean I can decipher some posts on the Grande Guerre forum and the occasional website but I fear a book is beyond my ability!

My wife can read French pretty well but asking her to constantly translate may be hazardous to my wedded bliss! :lol:

Take care,

Neil

Guest Chip Minx

Joe,

As usual, you have me bested. Some very nice items here. I especially like the oval can and the Sachet. I have an example of a horizon blue carrier, but it is the rectangular variety. I have an M2 pouch, but no mask and, of course, an ARS. I also picked up what I assume is the Belgian version of the ARS with the two languages in the lid. I used to own an incomplete Tissot model, but let it go to someone who wanted it more than I. I try to stick to enlisted infantry issue (there have to be some limitations!)

I think perhaps the reason you don't see more of the Lunettes in collections is that they are so easily mistaken for other types of civilian goggles.

What do you use for reference?

Regards,

Chip