Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle grenade

Looks like a no.3 grenade. Here is a picture of mine. Interesting that the rifle is an SMLE Mark I.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-22114900-1322497224.jpg

The No.20 and 24 do not have the distinctive set back collar that covers the wind vanes. Compare the picture with my example.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-42538600-1322499022.jpg

Is this photo of a re-enactor?

It's an officer firing/posing so I am guessing,if it is period,it is a photo of the trails.Cut off is in,rifle doesn't match 1915 stock for most front liners.

Odd.

It's an officer firing/posing so I am guessing,if it is period,it is a photo of the trails.Cut off is in,rifle doesn't match 1915 stock for most front liners.

Odd.

It's an original picture - as Tony has already pointed out its a very early MkI SMLE, hence having certain unusual features compared to the more common later marks.

It's an original picture - as Tony has already pointed out its a very early MkI SMLE, hence having certain unusual features compared to the more common later marks.

Quite a few of these rifles appear to have been supplied to Ireland post WWI (in MkI*** format) and a good number appear to have become GF rifles, is an Irish connection possible with this photo?

Just to enumerate the distinguishing features alluded to by Andrew:

No charger bridge over the action

Sliding bolt head charger guide

Rear Sight protector "wings" integral to the handguard rather than separate

Rear Sight of different design (more complex and windage adjustable)

Foresight protector ears curved inward rather than straight as later

also (but not visible) the internal barrel band is under the external band (which created a weak point in the fore-end

Chris

Odd.

This a section of an image taken in the UK in early 1916.

To clarify - the image was taken in early 1916 and is one of two surviving negatives from a set taken at an army bombing school in south London. In a separate post I have been given help identifying the actual location - because the original caption refers to Southfields and friends on the forum suggest Clapham Common was the actual site. The second image shows a Leach Trench Catapult being fired by men of the Coldstream Guards.

Thank you all for your brilliant responses to my questions.

Mark

Thanks,Mark.Makes sense now.

I put trails instead of trials & stock as in what was available.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,Mark.Makes sense now.

I put trails instead of trials & stock as in what was available.

Absolutely right. I am slowly unearthing a range of images which haven't seen the light of day for a great many years. It's a shame so much of the original archive was destroyed by the Luftwaffe - but that's spilled milk. I really appreciate all the feedback and support I receive. Happy Christmas.