Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good copies of medals

DCLI

I think it unlikely that I will find all or any of my relatives medals.

Thank goodness it is only three sets of medals lost. Unfortunately, expensive sets though.

Has anyone on the Forum bought any copies? I have seen lots on the website offered by various dealers but I am worried that they will be too obvious.

Any really, really good ones out there? And what is the stamping like?

regards

Anthony

DCLI wrote:

Any really, really good ones out there?

In my mind there is no such thing as a good copy of a medal. All copies are bad and eventually result in some unsuspecting person being mislead. Any one who sells or buys copy medals, unless they are prominently and permanently marked as such, are, in my opinion, part of what can only be described as a deception. Regards. Dick

Any one who sells or buys copy medals, unless they are prominently and permanently marked as such, are, in my opinion, part of what can only be described as a deception.

Jeez, he only asked a question and you are accusing him of deception!!! :blink:

DCLI

What I did when trying to recreate one of my Great Uncles trios was to buy original, single, named medals to the same battalion as my GUncle and put them on display. That way at least you have some connection to the person you are commemorating. Besides, good copies are probably as expensive as the real thing anyway.

Andy

I have found a genuine MM, unstamped - If I find the trio then I can reproduce a genuine set - although with the originals, there would then be two sets in existence. But highly unlikely to cross paths.

Surely this exceptable?

Anthony

I have found a genuine MM, unstamped - If I find the trio then I can reproduce a genuine set - although with the originals, there would then be two sets in existence. But highly unlikely to cross paths.

Surely this exceptable?

Anthony

This is a moot point,which has been discussed before[search for "Copy Medals" to see threads]If you intended to name up a Genuine "Un~named" Group that would be unethical, @ the least{& would in effect render the Un~named Genuine Medals virtually Worthless,if this avenue is pursued they should be left Un~named* {Ref your other similar thread}} I am inclined to go with 'Rflory' on this one,in that supporting the accquistion of Copies/Replicas/Fakes/Facsimilies,is supporting their Manufacture & the debasing of the originals is compounded,in effect there is little point,as I stated before, in displaying Copy Medals~A Photograph would serve as well,as they are not & never will be the real McCoy,a set of Milk Bottle tops would serve as good a purpose to 'represent' a group,far better would be to accquire a genuine group or odd medals & thus as well as commemorating ones own family member you would be keeping safe the medals & memory of @ least one other serviceman by displaying their awards as representing the Medals also won by my..........?This is my personal opinion,as a collector for some 45 odd years & also being in the position of never having the Medals of My Forebears,save for an odd BWM & two Pairs,So I am aware of the frustration of being "without" as it were,no doubt I'll be "Red Baroned" & Shot down in Flames but hey it is a Forum & opinions will vary,I've a broad back[matches my backside!]so I can take it! :blink:

#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#

The problem is that though here & now the "Copies" might be realised as such ,in twenty ,thirty or fifty or so years time,with the passage of time they could be assimilated into the arena of genuine articles,thus debasing the History of which we are the Temporary Guardians of.

Guest Desmond6

Is it possible that someone could post a pic of the medals which my grandfather would have been due?

It's just I would like a 'graphic' to accompany an old picture and some other details which I intend to put in a frame.

He joined 1915 and was a lance-corporal when he was captured on March 21 1918. Spent remainder of war as POW. Died 1930 from TB - family story links this to exposure to gas.

His surname was Thompson, George. And he is first mentioned as joining the 18th Btn. Royal Irish Rifles which I know to be a reinforcement unit. I can say that men who are listed as having joined the army at the same time as my grandfather were wounded at the Somme and others were at Messines etc.

If I had a picture of the medals I'd be happy enough. I have not got a clue where his originals went to nor does anyone in the family.

Sad tale but I'm sure there are plenty like me in the same boat.

Is it possible that someone could post a pic of the medals which my grandfather would have been due?

It's just  I would like a 'graphic' to accompany an old picture and some other details which I intend to put in a frame.

He joined  1915 and was a lance-corporal when he was captured on March 21 1918. Spent remainder of war as POW. Died 1930 from TB - family story links this to exposure to gas.

His surname was Thompson, George. And he is first mentioned as joining the 18th Btn. Royal Irish Rifles which I know to be a reinforcement unit. I can say that men who are listed as having joined the army at the same time as my grandfather were wounded at the Somme and others were at Messines etc.

If I had a picture of the medals I'd be happy enough. I have not got a clue where his originals went to nor does anyone in the family.

Sad tale but I'm sure there are plenty like me in the same boat.

If he served O/S from 1915 He would be entitled to a:~

1914~1915 Star

British War Medal

Allied Victory Medal

post-23-1090836905.jpg

Or if serving O/S after 31st December 1915:~

British War Medal

Allied Victory Medal.

post-23-1090840575.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I think it unlikely that I will find all or any of my relatives medals.

Thank goodness it is only three sets of medals lost. Unfortunately, expensive sets though.

Has anyone on the Forum bought any copies? I have seen lots on the website offered by various dealers but I am worried that they will be too obvious.

Any really, really good ones out there? And what is the stamping like?

regards

Anthony

If you are stuck, I can get you some originals that have been ground down or some less desirable named pieces - drop me a PM.

Ian