Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Artillery Brass Plate

BMoorhouse

I attach a photo of a brass plate that was seized from a gun in the Turkish artillery battery at 'Hamadieh' at the end of the war against Turkey by an officer from the Yorks and Lancs.

I don't know whether anyone knows any more about this battery which apparently guarded the Gallipoli straits, or the events of it's 'capture/surrender' to the British?

Does this plate identify the type of gun?

Thanks for any help.

Brendon.

post-23-1090794611.jpg

Brendon,

Have a look at this post by Ozgur which is complete with detailed map and glossary

Plus, see Kaan's post following that re the Krupp 355 mm cannon

Hamidiye is the second battery south of Kilitbahir

It may be worth e-mailing our Turkish Pals for more details

[can you also please try to re-size your pic?]

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Edited by michaeldr

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re the generously proportioned pic - I am one of those that is not very good with computers. :( Perhaps I ought to spend a little time in the 'practice' part of the forum.

Regards,

Brendon.

Brendon,

There is also a ref to these two guns in the Holt’s guide book

“Rumeli Hamadiye Rampart;

This is to the right of the road, 10m above sea level and masked by pine trees.

It was built in the reign of Sultan Abdulhamit II in 1896 to fill the gap in the Dardanelles defensive line between the forts to the north and the south. It comprises three ammunition bunkers, built in the same style as the adjoining fortifications, and in 1915 there were two Krupp 35cm guns in the emplacements, which still exist”

By the way, the top-most part of the plaque’s decoration reminds me of the Turkish War Medal instituted by them at the beginning of the campaign ie after 18 Mart 1915; what do you think?

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-23-1090837197.jpg

There is a further reference which is worth quoting

See ‘Five Years in Turkey’ by General Liman von Sanders

Chapter 7 ‘Before the Dardanelles Campaign’

“On March 18 the allied fleet made its great attempt to break through …………………………………………………………………………

The enemy suffered serious and weighty losses. Insofar as could be observed by Colonel Wehrle and his subordinates, the Bouvet, Irresistible and Ocean had been sunk and several other battleships were seriously damaged. Several smaller ships, engaged in salvage work, had also been sunk. The fire of Fort Hamidje under Captain Wossidlo was mentioned as particularly effective.”

[my italics]

After this action, then perhaps it was a case of medals for the men and plaques for the guns.

I shall be interested to hear what turns out to be the truth here if you can oblige

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Brendon, any progress on this one?

Quote: “seized from a gun in the Turkish artillery battery at 'Hamadieh' at the end of the war against Turkey by an officer from the Yorks and Lancs.”

I wonder if you have any more details on where/when this chap served in this area.

The armistice was signed at Mudros on 30 Oct 1918 and the Treaty of Sevres sometime in 1920. The latter allowed the allies to occupy the Dardanelles and the 28th Division [which included the 83rd Brigade and the 1st Batt. the Yorks and Lancs] formed the occupying force based at Canakkale. If so then, I think that they were in that area until the end of the Charnak incident; armistice Mudanya 11 Oct 1922 and Treaty of Lausanne sometime in 1923.

If your chap was involved in this occupation force, then as well as the battery previously mentioned, he would also have had access to the similarly named Anadolu Hamidiye Battery almost opposite it on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles. Like the Gallipoli one, this battery also had a couple of 355mm guns as well as 7 guns of 240mm: see here

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

Thanks for all of your help.

I need to do a little more research I think. The brass plate came out of a friend's loft after a barbeque, and it was not the best time to make detailed enquiries. Her grandfather had removed it from the guns at the time of the armistice with Turkey. He also obtained a sword (given by her grandmother to a man who came to the door asking if she had anything to sell) and some shell cases (with another relative so I am unable to measure the calibre).

From what I was shown/told he also served on the Somme (Nov 1916) and Salonika.

Brendon.

The brass plate came out of a friend's loft after a barbeque,

The perfect end to the perfect barbeque

Keep on grilling!

Michael D.R.