Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEW MEMBER PLEASE HELP

lampedbec

please could you help me I am doing research on my great uncle, WIlliam Albert Haycock sergeant 203479, he served with the South Staffordshire regiment and died 09 Aug 1918 in Salonika, could anybody help me with what to do next is there possibility of getting a photo of him or detail were he died in salonika his body was never found apparently, thankyou peter

Welcome to the Forum

Your great Uncle Willaim Albert Haycock was born in Rugeley Staffs, and enlisted at Walsall.

He was in the 1st battalion of the South Staffs who were part of the 7th Division.

Have you seen the details regarding the 7th Divison and the South Staffs on the Long Long Trail, this will be a starting point for the Italian campaign.

Malcolm

William Haycock died during a raid carried out by the 1st South Staffords against the village of Canove. They managed to get into the village without too much trouble but when on attempting to advance beyond it toward the village cemetery they were caught by machine gun fire. In all they captured 27 prisoners including two officers but it came at a heavy price: six officers wounded of whom one subsequently died, and one man killed, 3 died of wounds, 4 reported missing and 48 wounded. (Source: battalion war diary)

Hi

I have this on him

William Albert HAYCOCK

Sergeant 203479

1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

KiA in Italy on Friday 9 August 1918

post-10072-0-92145300-1322465954.jpg

William was born in Rugeley to Albert Israel and Elizabeth (nee Powis) Haycock of 38, Bell Lane, Bloxwich and later of Station Gates, Bloxwich, his father being a platelayer for the London and North Western Railway.

Educated at Elmore Green School, Bloxwich, he was married to Mabel Haycock at Walsall in 1913 and lived with his parents.

William served in the Territorials and was mobilised at the outbreak of war at which time he was employed at the Bloxwich Spelter Works.

Drafted to Italy, William was killed during a night attack on the villages of Canove and Bellochio, the objective being to seize Canove, advance to the Val d’Assa and attack the enemy trenches there.

The assault began shortly after midnight but was immediately met by machine gun fire at the wire that was generally uncut. Canove was eventually reached and rushed but a pillbox at the far end prevented any further advancement. Canove was later cleared and the battalion withdrew with 27 prisoners. Enemy fire was continuous until 2am. The attack cost the battalion 11 killed, 48 wounded and 3 missing.

The War Diary records,

“8/9 August 1918 - The battalion in conjunction with raids of other battalions of the division raided Canove on night 8/9th. Zero hour 12 midnight. They succeeded in getting into the village, inflicting considerable losses on the enemy who refused to leave dugouts. Heavy machine gun fire prevented the raiding party deploying from the village, and raiding the Cemetery as was the original intention. The raiding party returned at 2am. Number of prisoners 27 (including 2 officers).”

William was 25 years of age when killed. He is commemorated on the Giavera Memorial and on the Walsall, Bloxwich and Elmore Green School rolls of honour.

Following his death his wife moved to 92, Bescot Street, Walsall.

William was probably employed by the Delaville Spelter Works in Willenhall Lane, Bloxwich.

NB The births register shows his wife's maiden name was Haycock.

Unfortunately you have just missed a rededication of the Elmore Green School War Memorial. The memorial was 'found' in a local stonemason where it was being kept and has been returned to Elmore Gren School, a re-dedication service taking place on Friday 11 November 2011. This was attended by the Mayor etc and was a very moving experience, the children from the school singing songs and reading out the names on the memorial.

A few local historians have been researching the memorial with a view to publishing a book next year. We would be very interested in getting in touch with you.

PLEASE PM me your e-mail address so that we can progress this.

I would be grateful for any more information you have.

post-10072-0-70774500-1322466577.jpg

Regards,

Graeme

Hi again

I do not think you use the mail system as you have too few posts.

You can either put your e-mail on the thread and delete it when I have seen it or post a few more replies to the thread until you have 5 posts.

Graeme

Hi Peter

Welcome to the Forum - you won't regret joining!

Graeme e-mailed me about your request. If you might PM me with your e-mail address I'll send you (by attachment) what I have collated and written up on Bill Haycock. I could e-mail you copies of Bill's Medal Index Card, his photo (the same as Graeme's!), a newspaper cutting asking for information of Bill's whereabouts and his family's 1911 Census return.

Cheers!

Ken Wayman

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou all very much it was very touching how much detailed information you have collated on my great uncle, my mother

joyce (nee) Haycock is over the moon, as we were stugling to collect any more information, we attended the rededication of the memorial at Elmore green school what an extremely moveing tribute to all those brave men.My computer is being repaired at moment so I am using my mothers but my e-mail address is : petelawlor69@hotmail.com