Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal codes

weescotty

I was looking for some help on deciphering my grandfathers Augustus Fraser medal roll cards which I located on ancestry (still no joy with his attestation papers - probably one of the lost !!).

Anyway on his card it has his name and rank and he was in the ASC with a army number of M/379445. It also has RASC/101 B267 and in the column under Corp it has BR.W.I.R Pte 611.

I have a couple of pictures that show he was in Germany presumably after the armistice and was wondering if these last letters mean that?

I have a nice picture of their army lorry which I think is a Dennis but am still investigating this aspect of his army life.post-69471-0-00844900-1322345642.jpg

If you could help out with the codes it would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

'RASC/101 B267' is the Medal Roll reference. It shows that his medals were issued from the Royal Army Service Corps roll.

'BR.W.I.R' stands for British West Indies Regiment.

I know what you are thinking - that raises more questions than it answers? Ah, the joys of Great War research :whistle:

[edit] Having now looked at Ancestry, you have viewed at two Medal Index Cards, which are probably for two different men of the name Augustus Fraser.

A very nice pictuae of the men with their lorry! The badges look ASC to me. As the prefix to his service number was "M", you kow that he was a mechanical transport driver. So, it all fits together except for the BWIR bit. I wonder if he transferred to it at or after the end of the war? Good luck with your search!

All the best,

Gary

• Admin

I think there is some confusion here which could be helped by studying the link as recommended above at post 4

There are two medal cards in the name of Augustus Fraser. One clearly refers to the ASC man who was entitled to a'pair' and therefore went overseas after 1916. Can add nothing further to the explanations above.

There is a second card in the name of Augustus Fraser who was attached to the BWIR Regtl No 611 who was also entitled to 'a pair'.

His award was recorded in the 'COL' (colonial) Rolls 112B6 page 245

There is nothing to link the two cards or suggest they are for the same soldier.

another Ken

btw fantastic picturethumbsup.png