Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with ID of Regiment

Aticast

Hi,

I hope you can help! In the attached photo, my great grandfather is on the right, and a great uncle is on the left. I am trying to establish what WW1 regiment the uniform and cap badge relate to, as this will help identify him and why he would have spurs and a riding crop.

http://www.box.com/s...fh7gbsfea643f0p

The two Great Uncles are:

Charles Edward Wiley, b. 5/3/1891 Walsall

Frederick Ernest Wiley, b. 24/4/1897 Walthamstow

I have found the following on ancestry WW1 records:

Charlie was in the Army Service Corps (No 1 Labour Corps), (Did this become 725 Lab Co?) posted to 20 Lab Co then 15 Lab Co, Section C and was transferred to the 113th Labour Corps in Aug 1917.

Fred was in the 4th (COL Reserves) Battn, Royal Fusiliers, but there is also a note to suggest he was in the 253 Company of Royal Defence Corps.

I have trawled through as many cap badges as I can find on the internet, but can not find anything of a similar shape!

Any help will be much appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin

That looks like the badge of the Welsh Regiment. All infantry regiments had some mounted men - those on the transport, and dispatch riders. Are you 100% certain it is one of the great uncles? It very often happens that wrongly-attributed photos are posted on here for ID.

Regards,

W.

Hi

The Welsh Regt's badge is a very similar badge to that of the 10th Hussars! However, going by the trousers and the riding crop I'd go for the latter.

Regards

Arthur

Kevin

That looks like the badge of the Welsh Regiment. All infantry regiments had some mounted men - those on the transport, and dispatch riders. Are you 100% certain it is one of the great uncles? It very often happens that wrongly-attributed photos are posted on here for ID.

Regards,

W.

Hi Wainfleet, I do have a couple of other photo's of the three men together (none in uniform though), one of which has their names written on the back, so am 99.9% confident it is one of the G Uncles! The written names don't correspond with the positions of the people in the photo hence the reason I don't know which G Uncle is which. (if that makes sense!)

As well as the cap badge his SD jacket has 'ball buttons' worn only by Hussars and Horse Artillery so he is almost certainly 10th (PoW Own) Royal Hussars and not 3rd DG, or infantry.

post-599-0-42744000-1322333465.jpg

As well as the cap badge his SD jacket has 'ball buttons' worn only by Hussars and Horse Artillery so he is almost certainly 10th (PoW Own) Royal Hussars and not 3rd DG, or infantry.

I so grateful for your help on this. It's fascinating how the smallest details can actually mean so much!

Fred's service papers indicate he was initially with the 4/4th Battalion of the London Regiment (Territorial Force). He was embodied on 10 Aug 1915. He appears to have served at home for the duration of the war with the 4/4th Battalion and Royal Defence Corps.

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

4/1st to 4/4th Battalions

Formed in May 1915 and joined 173rd Brigade in 58th (2/1st London) Division in East Anglia. Moved to Tadworth, then on to Hurdcott in January 1916.

8 April 1916 : became Reserve Bns. On 1 September 1916, 1st absorbed 3rd and 2nd absorbed 4th. Moved to Torquay in November 1916 and to Blackdown in April 1917 where it then remained.

His service papers advise transfer to 300 Reserve Company Royal Defence Corps on 16 Feb 1917 and to the 253 Company on 23 Apr 1917.

Rgds

Tim D

Charles,

Attested into the Army Service Corps on 17 Aug 1914.

Embarked at Le Havre on 24 Aug 1914 (725 Labour Company). May have initially served with 1 Labour Company as per his Medal Index Card (which was the Labour Corps Depot).

Invalided to UK on 18 Feb 1915 (Septic arm).

Returned to Le Havre on 13 Sep 1915 (20 Labour Company).

15 Labour Company Nov 1915.

Good Conduct Badge 17 Aug 1916.

Transfer to Labour Corps 1 Aug 1917.

163 Labour Company 20 Apr 1918 (may be typo for 113 Labour Company).

Appears to have been transferred to 113 Company after this at some time.

Home for Discharge 24 Feb 1919.

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

I can't find any reference to a 725 Labour Coy. 20 Coy were 4 Reserve Park GHQ Troops in France and 15 Coy were attached to the 3rd Divisional Train.

http://www.1914-1918.net/3div.htm

Labour Corps:

http://www.1914-1918.net/labour.htm

Interesting that he joined the Army for the first time on 17 Aug 1914 and found himself at war only a week later!

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim D,

Thanks for the wonderfully comprehensive response! I have got copies of the papers from Ancestry though I did not have the skill to interpret them which you have very kindly done for me.

In relation to his name, I am assuming that it is Charles then in the picture given the information you have provided! The other chap is my great grandfather, George David Wiley (b 1902).

Regards,

Kevin

Cheers Kevin,

There is no George Wiley listed serving with any cavalry unit, nor any in units with similar hat badges.

I am guessing he was too young to have served overseas, hence no Medal Index Card. Nor do his Service Papers seem to have survived.

Rgds

Tim D