Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown unit. Suggestions?

mtaylor

This British postcard shows a young man without colar or shoulder titles and and indistinct cap badge. His boots are dirty and he has a distinctive cord on his cap and a lanyard on his left shoulder. Maybe a cadet or post-war unit? Suggestions welcome.

post-173-0-93351400-1322252867.jpg

Plaiting chinstraps was not unknown but officially frowned on and certainly non regulation. The lanyard has no particular significance; usually used to keep the issued clasp knife in the top left hand pocket. Not a clue on unit I am afraid and he would have soon got a pain in the back carrying his pack that way.

Thank you squirrel - I hadn't see plaiting before and its interesting about the lanyard too.

I'll post an enlargement as soon as I can - I'm away from my PC for a while though. I wondered if it could be DCLI? But thanks for the interest.

I'll post an enlargement as soon as I can - I'm away from my PC for a while though. I wondered if it could be DCLI? But thanks for the interest.

It does seem to be a large badge I agree and could perhaps be DCLI or Gloucestershire Regiment.

post-599-0-70496500-1322527748.jpg

and Glosters.

post-599-0-64871400-1322527830.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for info thus far and apologies for the delay in posting this enlargement - I've been away from my PC. DCLI?

post-173-0-84569200-1324213325.jpg

Thanks for info thus far and apologies for the delay in posting this enlargement - I've been away from my PC. DCLI?

Would have said the Notts and Derby's (Sherwood Foresters):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-NOTTS-DERBY-REGIMENT-CAP-BADGE-BI-METAL-/310363397474?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4843199d62

Yes, it does look like Notts & Derby. Just shows the difference a close up can make.

post-599-0-79416800-1324242327.jpg