Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS IS ?

FRICOURT

I refer to my posting a couple of weeks ago about Mesnil Comm Cem Ext.

Whilst Reg Walker was visiting his brother's grave at Mesnil in the early 1920's he also visited his brother in law's grave at Connaught.

Could these photos be Connaught Cemetery and the Mill Road towards Thiepval /

Charlie

post-19-1090781363.jpg

NUMBER 2

post-19-1090781455.jpg

In my view, the second photo would seem a very good representation of someone standing in the vicinity of Connaught Cemetery and taking a photo of the road leading up towards Thiepval. The road appears to have bends at the appropriate places.

Would agree the top one is Connaught Cemetery; I have a 1919 postcard which is an almost identical view.

The second would also agree looks like a view looking up to Thiepval ridge where the village once stood.

Great photos - thanks for posting them.

Hi Charlie

great photo's, it certainly looks like the road to Thiepval from the Ulster Tower.

Have you anymore photo's like these, I am sure a lot of members would like to see them.

Mametz

Great photos Fricourt.

Would it be possible to use them on my website in a section I am creating on Connaught Cemetery, Along with any information you have on the photos?

No problems Billy.The pictures were given to me by a neighbour who is 92.

He lost his father and 3 uncles. In the early 1920's another uncle Reg Walker visited the battlefields and took pictures of Cyril Walkers grave at Mesnil and, we presume, another uncles grave at Connaught.The uncle in Connaught is LCorp 3585 Frank Goldthorpe but the photos of the grave have been lost but not the ones of the cemetery and the Mill Road.

Glad they are of use. Could I have details of your web site when it is completed.

Charlie