Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of troops shown

Hello again,

This is a section of a negative showing Sir John French reviewing troops at Woolwich during a display of trench digging in January, 1916. In my ignorance I think these men may be from the Royal Norfolks but would appreciate it if a serious brain could put me straight. In addition, if any of you folks have a precise date for his visit or any other background this would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Mark

post-20647-0-25439400-1322138485.jpg

I will stick my neck out and say Essex Rgt, but their age is also interesting and so wonder if they're National Reservists of the Essex Regt or one of the Home Service Battalions.

I rather think we are looking at the Dorsetshire regiment, its the spinx on top that did it for me.

Rob

Hi

I think that I'd also go for Dorsetshire Regt rather than that of the Essex Regt purely on the basis of the wreath next to the castle not being very wide!

Regards

Arthur

Both badges have the Sphinx but as mentioned the shape suggests Dorset and the shoulder title looks just a little too long for Essex.

tony P

Thanks to all for your contributions. After I posted I wondered whether my assumption that what I took to be the head of Britannia was wrong. Essex did cross my mind. I am no expert.

All the assistance I receive is gratefully received.

Mark

Thanks to all for your contributions. After I posted I wondered whether my assumption that what I took to be the head of Britannia was wrong. Essex did cross my mind. I am no expert.

All the assistance I receive is gratefully received.

Mark

I'd go for Dorsetshire too. Any chance of the full photo please?

I am still restoring it. The image has come away from the glass down one side of the plate - but the majority of it survives. As with other posts - the project is to restore through digitisation the Great War era/related glass plate/nitrate negative collection of a long since defunkt newspaper group and then move on to other formats which have relevance to the conflict (If I can get it all done by the end of next year). I need permission to show the full images. I will do my best...

Definitely Dorsetshires - see comparison of this (below left) with Essex regiment cap badge (below right).

Cheers

Peter

post-29053-0-16364900-1322151597.jpg

I will stick my neck out and say Essex Rgt, but their age is also interesting and so wonder if they're National Reservists of the Essex Regt or one of the Home Service Battalions.

I agree that the average age of all the men in shot seems unusually advanced.