Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Points of View Vol 1 & 2

Skipman

Interesting chapters on Lord Kitchener, the battle of Le Cateau, and Courts-Martial.

In his contemporary dispatch Lord French thus recorded his impressions at the time : " I cannot close the brief account of this glorious stand of British troops without putting on record my deep appreciation of the valuable services rendered by General Sir Horace Smith- Dorrien.

" I say without hesitation that the saving of the left wing of the Army on the morning of the 26th August could never have been accomplished unless a commander of rare and unusual coolness, intrepidity, and determination had been present to personally conduct the operations."

The censures which Lord French has now thought it right to pass upon General Smith- Dorrien in his book are not likely to be accepted by the historian of these critical days. The Field-Marshal would, indeed, have acted more wisely, as well as more generously, if he had adhered to the tribute which I have quoted above in itself in no way excessive to an accomplished and imperturbable soldier.

Points of views Vol 1

Points of views Vol 2

Mike

If dorian Smith had not decided to make that stand there was every possibility that we would have been overun by the germans who had vastly superior numbers and our troops were retreating and had been on the go for a long time and to say the least were tired out. I feel that the comments made were well founded.