Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions on this claim for KOYLI shoulder

auchonvillerssomme

If they are dug up you would have to have either lost your tunic or be very unlucky to loose the whole set in one place.You dont know the circumstances of the find but it makes you wonder was the original owner close buy and a chance of some sort of identification and proper burial lost for ever.john

I have mixed feelings about such finds being hawked for sale. Are they genuinely dug up; who knows, but if not it seems like a lot of trouble to go to. I can only asume the seller believes they will get much more than the starting price by the time the auction ends?

Not wanting to steer off topic, but is it me? There suddenly seems to be an awfull lot of dog tags being offered for sale - all originals ofcourse. :whistle:

Dave

I do not believe that they have been anywhere Ypres. They appear to have fought and lost a battle with a steam roller.

I have several badges in my collection that have been dug up by metal detectorists in England all of which have clear signs of being buried for a long period. The "Ypres" badges have no signs of ever having been buried.

I really dont like the loops either and if the badge were in pristine condition those loops would scare me!

TT

Nope I respect your opinions but no one totally correct yet.

No, think dates, what shoulder title would have been worn by the KOYLI?

surely the KOYLI wore Bugle/YORKSHIRE in WWI same as DLI wore Bugle/ DURHAM. KOYLI is a later title and if I recall not worn in WW2 as they wore cloth KOYLI.

John

yorks

I'm open to being corrected - That shoulder title wasn't seen until 1921.

I am no expert on dates but like I said its later than WW1 and therefore couldn't have been genuinely buried in Ypres. I would go whole heartedly with 1921 for the straight KOYLI title and not worn in WW2.

regards

John

Does the same not apply to Shropshire LI

1914 - 1918 Bugle over curved SHROPSHIRE 1921 STRAIGHT KSLI

I thought all the LI were the same Bugle/Cornwall, Bugle/Durham, Bugle/Shropshire, Bugle/Somerset Bugle/Yorkshire.

The only one different was Bugle/straight HLI.

buried in Ypres?????? our back yard

John

I am no expert on dates but like I said its later than WW1 and therefore couldn't have been genuinely buried in Ypres. I would go whole heartedly with 1921 for the straight KOYLI title and not worn in WW2.

regards

John

I would agree, I had discounted WW2 anyway, KOYLI fielded only one Bn the 2nd/4th with the BEF in 1940, which I suppose someone might say they could have worn metal shoulders. They certainly didn't in 1944/45.

Think this would be the KOYLI as worn in WW1, you can just make out the curved Yorkshire on my grandads pic dating from 1917,

John.

The bugles are both facing the same direction so definitely not part of a 'set'. Some of these sales have been discussed on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum as a re-strike Leeds Pals was being offered amongst them.

I'm no expert but the pattern of damage is rather curious. I can imagine a scenario where a badge might be bent in half or dented but these almost seem to be rippled?

The item has been withdrawn from auction.