Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this uniform button or badge?

Ralph J. Whitehead

I am useless when it comes to British uniforms. I recently obtained this photo of a group of British prisoners. Several men have what appears to be a round badge or button over their tunic pocket (left side).

I tried to enlarge them but it was not clear enough to see. There appears to be a darker spot on the item. Can anyone give me an idea of what it might be? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Here are my attempts at scanning the items in question on two of the men.

post-32-0-84107900-1322016021.jpg

post-32-0-26731100-1322016093.jpg

post-32-0-78338000-1322016113.jpg

I am useless when it comes to British uniforms. I recently obtained this photo of a group of British prisoners. Several men have what appears to be a round badge or button over their tunic pocket (left side).

I tried to enlarge them but it was not clear enough to see. There appears to be a darker spot on the item. Can anyone give me an idea of what it might be? Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Here are my attempts at scanning the items in question on two of the men.

I can only assure you that it would not be regimental insignia worn in that position Ralph. It is interesting to see that several of the men are missing buttons. As these were embossed with the Royal coat of arms, it seems quite likely that they were bartered for something with German guards or civilians with whom they came in contact. The enclosed example has a Victorian crown.

post-599-0-66303500-1322046896.jpg

Many thanks for the information on the buttons. I have never seen anything like these before, then again, I have never really studied British uniforms. Thanks again.

Ralph

It doesn't look like British army insignia. Perhaps it is something specific to the POW camp denoting some form of status within it.

Many thanks for the information on the buttons. I have never seen anything like these before, then again, I have never really studied British uniforms. Thanks again.

Ralph

If your photo was originally developed on a glass plate as most at that time were then there is a lot of hidden detail in it. I recommend that you obtain a x20 stamp collectors glass (magnifier) and examine the button/badge through it.

I have scanned it at high resolution and the details cannot be determined as it is too fuzzy. Ralph

there was a previous discussion re the disc on POW breast, I believe the general consensus was that they were ID discs specific to the POW camp??

regards

Bob R

I have scanned it at high resolution and the details cannot be determined as it is too fuzzy. Ralph

Hello Ralph,

I can't comment on scanning as I have never done it, but if you have the original photograph in the format of a 'post card' (marked on the back), then these were usually developed on a glass plate and it would be worth using the stamp collectors glass. If however it is a 'snap' from someone's album using some other form of developing then the resolution would likely be as you have described.