Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unstamped medals

DCLI

Does anyone know of, or heard of any WW1 medals that are unstamped, ie blank?

I would love to get hold of some Two trios would be fine to start with - then I suppose everyone on this forum would.

Regards

Anthony

Does anyone know of, or heard of any WW1 medals that are unstamped, ie blank?

I would love to get hold of some Two trios would be fine to start with - then I suppose everyone on this forum would.

Regards

Anthony

You occassionaly hear of or see on dealer's lists etc "Unamed" Odd Stars,BWM,Victory Medals etc,Usually however there are inevitably "Scrubbed" Medals that have had the naming removed,albiet "expertly" if such a description can be applied to such vandalism,the only Officially unamed Medals that SHOULD be encountered would be awards to Foreign nationals of the DCM,MM,Etc;However I expect a few unamed Genuine examples of WW1 Campaign Medals & Stars do exist but not in any great numbers :blink:

Am I incorrect in saying that officers ww1 medals were not stamped with their name and rank?

Tom.

I have seen some for sale, either singly or in named groups, that dealers describe as never having been engraved; these almost exclusively were awarded to Indian soldiers.

Richard

If anyone sees any for sale - give me a shout - unless of course you want them?

Regards

Anthony

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I know of one batch of un-engraved Victory medals were issued to soldiers of the MGC, as my late great-aunt still had her husband's medals in their box of issue and the Victory was not engraved but the BWM was.

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick
here`s one I believe to be genuinely unstamped. Phil B

I believe you are right - the edges are still rounded and there is not the apparent indentation or flatness usually associated with name removal.

Ian