Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 12768: Memoir of a Tommy

BeppoSapone

Todays "Sunday Times" has something about a new book: "Private 12768: Memoir of a Tommy" by John Jackson. Written in 1926, but only just published.

Has anyone seen a review copy?

Does anyone know more of Private John Jackson MM?

post-22-1090754825.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There was an item on Radio 4 (UK) this morning about this which I came upon halfway through.

It was his niece speaking about her uncle. Apparently she had decided to publish his 'memoirs' only now.

Did anyone hear the whole item?

Incidentally, Radio 4 is running a WW1 thread throughout this week.

Guest fjackson

John Jackson was my great Uncle, my mother (his niece) was interviewed briefly on the Today prog on Radio 4 (Tuesday 3 August 2004). You should be able to replay the interview by logging on to Radio4 - Today although I've had problems replaying it.

Uncle Jack gave his memoirs to my mother as she had married a soldier (Scots Guards) and her married name was Cameron and he had been very proud to be a Cameron Highlander. My mother has attempted several times to have his memoirs published but until Tempus took it up none were interested hence the "recent discovery". Uncle Jack was born near Carlisle in the early 1880's, the oldest of four children, as far as I can recall he returned to work on the railways after the war, he subsequently married but had no children.

If there is something further you wish to know about Jack, please let me know and I will ask my mother.

Just recieved this book from my bookclub this morning (unordered - must have forgotten to send back my monthly statement -again!!!).I've decided to keep it, so I'll post my thoughts on it whenever I find time to read it.

Dave.

By the way, min. cost I can find is £14 on Amazon.co.uk

Just recieved this book from my bookclub this morning (unordered - must have forgotten to send back my monthly statement -again!!!).I've decided to keep it, so I'll post my thoughts on it whenever I find time to read it.

Dave.

Decided to start it tonight whilst relaxing in the bath! I haven't got to the front line yet, but - what an excellent read!

From what I've read so far, I highly reccommend this book to both WW1 novice and expert alike. Easy to digest, entertaining and descriptive with short chapters (enabling me to read one while nipping out back for a quick fag!) that stop me having to fold down corners of pages and leaving chapters unfinished during "busy" moments! :ph34r:

It's good to see a memoir from an OR once in a while, and this one is so well written as to make you feel as if you are there.

Dave.

Guest fjackson

Dave,

Good to hear you're enjoying the book, my brothers and I all read it (in manuscript form) and thought it was good but we're biased! My mum's been contacted by a couple of papers for interviews so look out for more info and background on John Jackson in the press.

Fiona

John Jackson was my great Uncle, my mother (his niece) was interviewed briefly on the Today prog on Radio 4 (Tuesday 3 August 2004). You should be able to replay the interview by logging on to Radio4 - Today although I've had problems replaying it.

Uncle Jack gave his memoirs to my mother as she had married a soldier (Scots Guards) and her married name was Cameron and he had been very proud to be a Cameron Highlander. My mother has attempted several times to have his memoirs published but until Tempus took it up none were interested hence the "recent discovery". Uncle Jack was born near Carlisle in the early 1880's, the oldest of four children, as far as I can recall he returned to work on the railways after the war, he subsequently married but had no children.

If there is something further you wish to know about Jack, please let me know and I will ask my mother.

Thanks for that. My main query was that I was wondering why the book had not been published before, but you have answered that.

People may like to know that it is possible to re-listen to Radio 4 progs. for around a week or so on the net, so this interview should still be available. Go to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/