Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Eli Fillis

HERITAGE PLUS

Eli was one of 7 brothers who served in the Great War and one of two that did not return. My signature below refers.

His MIC only gives his medal entitlement - Victoty & British - and his number and I have his CWGC details.

His brothers were Charlies (as per signature) about whom I have a lot of info, William (born c1871) George (b. c1877), Aaron (b.1879), Bertie (b.c1881) and Albert (b.c1882).

One of them may have been by Great-Grandfather - I am seeking confirmation of his name from my uncled and aunts.

Any information on Eli and his brothers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Possibly all the same man - Aaron Fillis:-

The only MIC I can find:-

Name: Aaron Fillis

Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers, Labour Corps

Regimental Number: 117238, 292658

Service papers:-

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872

Age at enlistment: 43

Residence: 1 Meeds Place The Green, Devizes Wiltshire

Document Year: 1915

Regimental Number: 47238 [Edit: clear it should be 117238 - 292658 also present]

Regiment Name: Royal Engineers

These Pensions records:-

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873

Age at enlistment: 41

Birth Parish: Gaze

Birth County: Wiltshire

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 296

Regiment Name: 3rd Wiltshire Regiment

[Edit - confirms he spent 12 years with the Wiltshires. Discharged as "unlikely to become an efficient soldier", leading into records for 292658 - an RE number, who attested on 21 August 1915!]

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872

Age at enlistment: 43

Document Year: 1915

Regimental Number: 17238

Regiment Name:Royal Engineers

and then there's these Pension records...

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871

Age at enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: Devizes

Document Year: 1889

Regimental Number: 2680

Regiment Name: Wiltshire Regiment

Off to see if I can make any sense of it all...

ETA: been through the earliest papers but no mention of family members. Later, his wife is given as Alice Tapper, they married in 1898 and three children are named: Rose (1901), Walter (1908) and Stanley George (1911). Is that your man?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

V.

Thanks again.

Aaron did marry in 1898 - my grandmother Lillian Rose Fillis was born in 1901 and Walter Aaron Fillis born in 1908 I new well as he was my great uncle a Regular with the Wilts. Regt. who surved the sinking of the Lancastria in WW2.

I think you have found my great grandfather for me!! :D

Hi Dave,

Sorry - editing as I go along. Hope I haven't confused you! In 1919 he asks for 12 years 116 days to be taken into account for "former service" under a 1919 regulation, so I think it's all the same man. In which case, you have a decent set of records.

Fantastic. :D

His brother Charlie served 12 years and 176 days.

Many Thanks again.

Dave

And on to William. This man has a brother called George, a mother called Susan and grandmother Sarah Downe. I think there may be other papers for him, but given the difference in birthplaces and regiments, I won't do any more unless you recognise any of this (and I should turn in anyway!):-

Name: William Fillis

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883

Age at enlistment: 15

Birth Parish: Camberwell

Birth County: Middlesex

Document Year: 1898

Regimental Number: 41816

Regiment Name: East Yorkshire Regiment

Awake early, so forging on! Bertie's MIC:-

Name: Bertie Fillis

Regiment or Corps: 1st Wiltshire Regiment

Regimental Number: 6340

I can tell you he landed in France on 14 August 1914 and got an SWB but there's no date for discharge. Unfortunately, can't see any surviving papers.

The only MIC for a George I can find:-

Name: George H Fillis

Regiment or Corps: Kings Royal Rifle Corps, Labour Corps

Regimental Number: 3144, 120638

He landed in France on 11 March 1915. Again, can't see any other papers.

There are three MICs for Alberts. I think this is possibly the likeliest:-

Name: Albert Fillis

Regiment or Corps: 1st Wiltshire Regiment

Regimental Number: 7774

Also landed in France 14 August 1914.

The other two are:-

Name: Albert Fillis

Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps

Regimental Number: M/372406

Name: Albert E Fillis

Regiment or Corps: Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Worcestershire Regiment

Regimental Number: 19238, 75391

Once more, no other papers.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave - is the 7th brother James Daniel? There are papers for a man in the RFA with regimental nos 78067 and 971488 who was discharged to [basing] Road, Peckham in 1919. He gives his birthplace as Waterloo, London. He names his mother as Annie and his father as James Samuel.

Louise

No this is not one of mine.

Regards

Dave

OK - not a huge amount of them about: a few in London, one in Ireland.... What about Percy, who as you'll see joined up pre-WW1?

Name: Percy Fillis

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Age at enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: St Johns

Document Year: 1912

Regimental Number: 1483

Regiment Name: R A M Corps

Interestingly, his papers contain a death certificate for a Fanny Fillis (aged 67), widow of Aaron, in Devizes.

[ETA - Percy James]

[ETA2 - father "Aron" Fillis]

Louise

You are Magic. :D

You have found a brother that I did not know about!

Thanks again.

Dave

My family call me the "Rottweiler", Dave! Magic is nicer. thank you... :D

Once again, delighted for you. This is the sort of thing that makes all the rooting around worthwhile.

• 2 years later...

Hi. My Great Grandfather was Eli Fillis (Maternal). My father spent a great deal of time researching the family a few years back. My father passed away earlier this year and so I don't know if he ever made contact with you - I don't believe he did as I can't find any reference. We have now found a photograph of Eli's grave at Kantara. We're trying to work out how you are related to Eli.....

Hi Tubmeister

Your father did not make any contact with me Im afraid.

My Maternal Great-Grandfather Aaron Fillis was Eli's brother. My Maternal Grandmother was Lilian Rose Fillis who married George Jones.

I have a photo of Eli's grave and that of his brother Charlie who died on the Somme. I was able to visit Charlie's grave and the area where he was mortally wounded in 2012.

Regards

Dave

• 1 year later...

I was interested in your discussion about the Fillis family. Not sure if this thread is still open. My mother was the daughter of George Aaron Fillis, who imigrated to the US in 1895 when he was 16 years old.. He was the son of Aaron Fillis and ​Fanny Alexander, Fillis. The England and Wales Census of 1881, when he was 4 years old, shows his birth year as 1877, Others in the household were William Fillis, age 10, Aaron Fillis, age 9, Charles Fillis, age 7, and Fanny Fillis, age 2, along with his parents. The US Census of 1900 lists his birthdate as May 1879, residing at Newton Township, Dawson County, Montana, in the household of Albert Clemens, my mom's uncle on her mother's side. He married my grandmother, Clara Gaffield, in December 1901. Together they had 7 children: Daughters Beatrice and Blanche (my mother), Sons, Percy, Bertie, Earl, Clarence and George. The children were all born in Montana. My grandfather, George Aaron Fillis died November 11, 1918 during the great flu epidemic. His daughter Beatrice died 2 days before him. I have a marriage picture of my grandfather and grandmother on my wall at home, as well as two young men whom my mother told me were her uncles Eli (with his wife Maud Elizabeth) and Charles. She never met them, as she never went to England and they were never in the States, to my knowledge. My mother understood that her uncle, Aaron Fillis, had immigrated to the US a few years ahead of my grandfather, and when my grandfather came to the US he lived with his brother Aaron. I've not found evidence of this, and this forum speaks of him serving in England's army during the great war. I have several Fillis cousins living in the US as well as my uncle Clarence's wife. My uncles have all passed away. I'm always interested in information about the Fillis family. I live in Washington State, the 9th child of 14 children born to my mother, Blanche Fillis and my father, Verne Roberts. Any information about the Fillis family still in the UK would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Johnny Roberts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Johnny

Sorry for the late response, I have been off-line for a while.

I am the great-grandson of Aaron Fillis (age 9 on the Census) , my grandmother being his daughter Lilian (Lily) Rose Fillis. I will send you a Personal Message later

Dave

Hi. My Great Grandfather was Eli Fillis (Maternal). My father spent a great deal of time researching the family a few years back. My father passed away earlier this year and so I don't know if he ever made contact with you - I don't believe he did as I can't find any reference. We have now found a photograph of Eli's grave at Kantara. We're trying to work out how you are related to Eli.....

Hi Tubmeister: Your great grandfather Eli was my grandfather, George's brother. (See post at end of forum). I can't find any list of children for Eli. I know he was married twice, but there are no children mentioned.

Thanks,

Johnny

• 1 month later...

pastorjohn. 3 of Eli's grandchildren are still alive - my mother, her brother and their cousin. My father did lots of work on the family tree before he died 2 years ago so I might be able to help build some more of the picture for you.

We are planning on travelling to Normandy in August to see Charles' war grave.

• 1 year later...

Hello.  It's good to hear from you.  One of my greatest hopes is that I will be able to visit Devizes, UK.  I know there are still relatives there.

Hi Pastor John

Did you get my e-mail giving you my Uncles e-mail address?

Dave