Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

slouch hat

Guest simon yates

Guest simon yates

I am trying to match a photo to a name.

The person: Edward J. Dix, b. 1879, enlisted Clapham junction, City of London 23rd. Brigade, # 2271, died 26 may 1915, Somme

The photo shows soldier, battle dress top with epaulette embroidered C.I.V. Also Slouch Hat, left side turned up, also with CIV embroidered.

I did not know any English troops wore a slouch hat, until I found a few references in google. I need to know whether any County of London Brigades wore such a hat, in which case it is likely I can Identify this picture.

Thank you, Simon

Hi Simon,

I suspect he may have been 390 E Dix, City of London Imperial Volunteers during the 2nd Boer War.

In which case, you can download his records from FindmyPast if you buy some credits.

IPT

I am trying to match a photo to a name.

The person: Edward J. Dix, b. 1879, enlisted Clapham junction, City of London 23rd. Brigade, # 2271, died 26 may 1915, Somme

The photo shows soldier, battle dress top with epaulette embroidered C.I.V. Also Slouch Hat, left side turned up, also with CIV embroidered.

I did not know any English troops wore a slouch hat, until I found a few references in google. I need to know whether any County of London Brigades wore such a hat, in which case it is likely I can Identify this picture.

Thank you, Simon

Simon,

Post your photo at the following link and there are people who will be able to help you (I enclose a photo of another CIV man posted there): http://www.victorianwars.com/index.php

post-599-0-85519200-1321957436.jpg

Simon

Battle dress blouses were WW2 not WW1. The man in your photo is wearing a service jacket. He seems to be wearing two chevrons and a crown which was what some yeomanry and other volunteer unit corporals wore in the South African war but not, I think, in WW1

Simon

This is without question a Boer War photo. The CIV were mobilised early in 1900 and returned home late that same year, so the photo dates from then. This uniform was not worn at any other time.

It's hard to say what the badge over the chevrons is, but it looks to me like crossed whips, which would probably place him in the CIV Mounted Infantry company.

Regards, W.