Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kilt...

Guest Hill 60

So, did the kilted units also do the fighting in hidden "au-naturel"? And wouldn`t that have been quite "uncomfortable"???

Actually I found wearing a kilt with underwear is uncomfortable and more impractical when nature calls.

Jon

At the beginning of WW2, 1941 the gouvernement decided to ban the kilt , in case of gas attacks...

1st Bn of Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was last unit to wear the kilt in action.

when was that, landsturm?

Some Scottish regiments with the BEF in France and Belgium in 1939-40 still wore the kilt. Whether this was intentional or whether they were just awaiting sufficient supplies of '37 Battledress, I don't know.

Richard

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Kilts in the British and Canadian armies were considered very poor in protection against mustard gas as too much skin seemed to be revealed. Underneath the kilt there was simply no protection whatsoever. There was an instance when a Scottish Soldier's thighs and sexual parts were burned do to a gas shell.

-Doughboy

when was that

If I´m not completely wrong, final action was in May 1940 at Escaut Canal, Belgium. Not sure about that... anyone else know more?

there are pics of Scots in kilts in the desert (i think 1941) too.

And offcourse the famous picture of the glider pilot at Arnhem with the kilt, 1944!!!

But those were exceptions.

And traditional kilt doesn`t include underwear. So, did the kilted units also do the fighting in hidden "au-naturel"? And wouldn`t that have been quite "uncomfortable"???

Landsturm,

"Short Drawers" for kilted Highlanders were introduced on 18 March 1915 for the purpose of inclement weather protection. Over 1.2 million pairs were made.

Winter Scales of issue clearly state their issue to Kilted men and wear was at the recommendation of the MO.

Jock Bruce has found references to these drawers being issue to the 5th Seaforths and they weren't popular with the Lt. Col.

These were clearly issued and worn.

So what does a Highlander wear under his kilt?--Nothing unless its too frosty then he dones his drawers.

In fact the Canadian Corps withdrew all Kilts from their Highland units in Nov/Dec 1917 and did not reissue until the spring.

Bkristof,

Never came across any official reference to any kind of Drawers for Gas protection. Any picture of the pair?

Joe Sweeney

Guest John Sukey

Kristof, did you add the necessary bodily fluid to that anti-gas pad? :D

I suppose I should be grateful that I do the 1882 version of the Ninety-Twa.

BYDAND

Why not 1815, that is Belgium too and no gas.

We can call in the the Greys: Scotland forever!!!!

Guest John Sukey

Why not Belgium 1815? They did'nt have Martini-Henrys in 1815. We do the Egyptian campaign. Of course that means I can't wear me feather bunnet, just a pith helmet. :lol:

Not to mention I have enough trouble with the drill already without learning the goose step!

Read 'Ghosts have warm hands' by Will Bird who served with the 42nd Canadian Black Watch. He descibes the problem of wearing kilts in the trenches and in one attack actually loses his but doesn't realise until the battle finishes!

Guest John Sukey
Read 'Ghosts have warm hands' by Will Bird who served with the 42nd Canadian Black Watch. He descibes the problem of wearing kilts in the trenches and in one attack actually loses his but doesn't realise until the battle finishes!

I hope he had a good supply of Woad. Must have scared the heck out of the germans. :D